Ignition locks key in mechanism

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion. When I go to turn off the engine, the key occasionally gets locked in the ignition. The only way to get it out is to either restart the car and then turn it off again - which doesn’t always work. If it doesn’t work, then I take the cover off the underside of the steering wheel and press the release button found there. This is the third Ion in our family and this problem has occurred with each car. When it begins happening, the mechanic at Saturn lubricates it…that helps for a while, but then it begins locking up again. They have even replaced the ignition mechanism, but even the new one starts locking up eventually. Is this a Saturn or GM problem with Ion’s? This has never happened to any other make of car we’ve owned. Thanks for any input.

I have no idea how to fix this, but try Google with “Saturn key stuck forum” and you will find lots of similar problems and maybe some ideas.

I have the same issue on and off and what I’ve found that the car isn’t sencing that wheels have rolled forward or backwards to the place where the car stops. If you put the car in reverse or drive for a foot or so and put the car in park then the key will come out easily.
You can always punch the key release in the center console but I always say to do that as last option because you can’t undo it…