Safety tips

Most Texas interstate highways have speed limits of 75 and 80 MPH. Driving 10 MPH below the speed limit would be about the same speed as the commercial truck traffic, not a big deal on rural highways.

I don’t push my car at 75 MPH in the 105 degree heat, I just pace myself with the trucks, usually 70 to 72 MPH. Maybe that’s a safety tip so one doesn’t rupture their cooling system in an old car on the hottest day of the year 100 miles from the nearest town.

1 Like

I would not think that you would “rupture” your cooling system unless you were running with no antifreeze.

A vehicles cooling system has many plastic and rubber parts, racing through the desert with a cooling system operating at an elevated temperature will test the durability of these aging parts. It is the pressure and temperature of the coolant that lead to the rupture of the weakest part.

@sgtrock21

I am not the one saying you should drive 10 mph under or using dry ice in a car. Did you reply to the wrong person?

I may have.

I am the one who said that I drive 10 mpg under the speed limit.

I wish you a Happy Easter.

Andy

Try 10 mph

You may have…WHAT?
:confused:

Message is for Volvo.

Your right.

No. I was simply agreeing with your concerns.

What’s the safety tip for this situation?

A little black paint can go a long way.

1 Like

Yep black paint and a little common sense. Sometimes you just ignore GPS, road markings, and traffic laws. What would a robot driver do I wonder?

1 Like

AARP has a senior Safe Driver course for those over 50 to STAY safe as we age…Many states require insurance companies to give you a discount if you take that course (888-AARP-NOW) or similar ones like AAA’s, in class or online.
The small cost is WAY worth the investment of time and money–on hospital bills alone!

I would change #3 to ALWAYS drive with headlights on…24/7, 365 days. Up here in the northeast sun never gets 45 degrees above the horizon in winter, sometimes the only way you notice an oncoming vehicle (in full sunlight mind you) is the pin-pricks of their two headlights. Many a near miss averted by NOTICING the other vehicle. Headlights are as much about being SEEN as they are about seeing. Worst, of course, are those in silver vehicles that drive in (daytime) fog with no lights on!

Many new vehicles have “always on” lights, and numerous countries (those safer than ours…hint, hint) require lights on when ignition is on.

And keep the lenses of lights, front and back, clean–at least a quick wipe.

To Mustangman: It becomes a problem when BOTH directions start to use it as a travel lane, even a few yards…the you have a head on crash in what is supposed to be a safety lane. Pull into the center turn lane just before you need it, signal of course (you were doing that when you switched lanes anyway, right???) and wait for the gap in on coming traffic to do your left.

Assume the opposing traffic is full of knuckleheads who are likely to do stupid moves on the road and you be the one who does not try them yourself, so thereby reducing conflict by 50%. That is the essence of defensive driving, BTW.

“20% improvement of what ?”

Traffic flow…much smoother than the all-too-many gas/brake/gas/brake drivers around. Smooth flow is safer flow. You still need to be prepared to stop or steer out a harm’s way…no sleeping on this job!

Sure, I agree, but that can happen anywhere those lanes exist. I don’t think I have ever seen that type of accident in the center lane. I have, however, seen the T-Bone that occurs when turning left cross traffic. I think accident stats would favor my technique for merging into traffic.

And Yes, I use my turn signals. I drive a Mustang, not a BMW… Sorry BMW drivers, that was just TOO easy a jab to take! :laughing:

Something new today. A bicyclist using the center turn lane as a bicycle lane! Traveling at least 4 blocks until I lost sight of them in my rear view mirror. Of course designated bicycle lanes were available on both sides of the street. About 3 blocks later I was treated to something very rare. A bicyclist stopped at a marked pedestrian crosswalk, dismounted and walked their bicycle becoming a pedestrian. Of course it was cancelled by a cyclist coming from behind them and riding across. In my state bicyclists are required to obey the rules of motor vehicles.

I have seen that same behavior as well.

Cyclists who stay on the left side of the bicycle lane are asking to get hit by a mirror or worse.

In Texas, cyclists can be ticketed just like cars, though I have never seen it happen.

I am a cyclist.