Safety tips

If I’m understanding you correctly, you can get across the nearest lane(s) that are not going the direction you want, and to the center left turn lane, but not all the way across because of heavy traffic. So, you use a gap to make it to the center and wait there for traffic to clear in the direction you want to go.

Let’s say I’m one of the cars traveling in the lane you want to merge into. I drive defensively, so when I see you coming out of your neighborhood exit, I have no idea if you are a bad driver who has misjudged the situation or you have it under control.

A bad driver would think they can merge or that people will yield and continue all the way across and merge.

A good driver will do as you do and pull into the center and wait with no intention of coming across the center lane until traffic clears.

Let’s say I think, “Man, can this guy see the traffic, is he a bad driver, does he think people will let him merge?” This can freak me out or other drivers out and I might sharply apply brakes or make a quick lane change, both of which are dangerous in heavy traffic. How does one know the driver’s intention for sure and how one should react or not react?

Also, a bad driver waiting in the center could become impatient and not do a real fine job merging safely. I see the turn signal and I don’t know if the car is going to whip out.

Not every situation is exactly like this one and not every driver is as cautious and skilled as you are and I believe that’s what makes it hazardous and illegal.

I don’t know if that makes sense to you.
CSA

I understand the turn lane merge that Mustangman is doing and I assume he does the same thing I do. There are times when I do it and times where I would not even consider it. Of course my first plan is 3 right turns instead of one left.

1 Like

They can indeed make smaller adjustments to speed than the cruise control can.
And they can anticipate things the cruise control cannot, like hills, dips and traffic.

Yes, CSA, it does make sense to me. I have experienced drivers in the far lane that get a bit “twitchy” because of that. I try not to pop out aggressively and stop as I switch my turn signal from left to right to indicate a merge. The worst that ever happened is an abrupt brake and honk. Generally no affect at all and I merge into a gap.

I understand the concern but I have few options during heavy traffic other that turn right and another right and another right to go south.

Thanks for the explanation.

It is not illegal to use the center lane when entering a road in the state of Nevada, it is a common sight and generally doesn’t frighten people.

From the Nevada drivers handbook;

Center lanes for left turns appear on many streets
and roads. Most are marked on each side by solid
yellow and broken yellow lines. You may cross these
lines only to make a left turn onto or from the highway.
These are not travel lanes and may not be used for
passing. You may not travel more than 200 feet in a
center turn lane before making a left-hand turn and
you may not travel more than 50 feet in a center lane
after making a left-hand turn onto the highway before
merging with traffic [NRS 484B.223 (3)].

Who are “they” ?

My cruze control adjusts well to hills and valleys.

It speeds up slightly going up hills and slows down when going down hills.

As far as traffic, If I run into traffic I turn it off.

Not safe to use it in traffic.

Same thing in Texas.

I wondered who would get the ticket if one driver on one side and another driver on the other choose to use the turning lane at the same time only had a wreck?

But what about those of us who don’t own a Chevy Cruze?
What can you tell us about Cruise Control on other models?
:confused:

This should help.

“They” being the driver.

That is NOT the best way to maximize mileage

See hypermiling tricks and tips here: #8 talks about losing speed up hill and gaining back on the down side. Your cruise control will maintain a steady speed at all times - not the best for MPG’s.

3 Likes

Thanks, I have read that before.

Minimize load on your engine. Generally, it’s better for your fuel economy if you maintain a steady speed, which is why using cruise control and driving at or below the speed limit is an important part of hypermiling. However, varying your speed in relation to the actual terrain you’re driving over is also necessary.

If drivers in my state vary their speed on highways, the response from other drivers is not positive.

Tip 8

I will try as I am going out of town tomorrow.

Going slower up a hill would lessen engine work and increase mpg.

Article does not say how much faster to go downhill.

Getting a ticket is one consideration.

I always go 10 mpg under the speed limit on state highways.

So, tip 8 will probably not be as much an improvement in mpg as compared to those doing
75 mpg.

Its been a while since I had a cruise unit apart so maybe they are computers now but my old ones were all vacuum controlled. They couldn’t anticipate hills so as soon as the mph dropped off, it would hit the accelerator to compensate. I see it more of a convenience on the highway than a fuel saving device. Back in the oil shortage days I used to teach the Feather Foot Driving Course in Minnesota developed to help people maximize their mpg. I don’t recall ever talking about cruise control. But whatever works I guess.

I assume you mean MPH - 10 miles an hour under the limit, Why?

Great increase in gas mileage.

I am no hurry like many others. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A comment about how some hyper milers keep ice in their car to save on A.C.

I made this and use dry ice.

Did not come even close to keeping car cool.

Unless I have been given incorrect information breathing dry ice fumes in a closed environment is a bad idea.

I guess when training younger the most important tip was do not trust your mirrors, look over your shoulder to see if there is a car before changing lanes. Check your rear view mirror and watch cars, and my fave a little mirror stick on. Had to stop with left turn signal on because a guy was passing me on the left in a no passing zone. Expect the unexpected.

I would highly recommend never using dry ice as an A/C substitute…It’s Carbon Dioxide, and when it out-gases in confined areas it can cause Hypercapnia (abnormally elevated carbon dioxide levels in the blood)

1 Like