Saab 9-3 Check Engine Light Problem

I have a 2002 Saab 9-3. The check engine light and another warning light, (I think it’s Powertrain Malfunction light, see attached image) come on intermittently. The code corresponds to Transmission Range Sensor. I think it said it was out of range. Sometimes when the check engine light comes on, the dashboard shows the gear to be in “P” (parking) even when I would have shifted it to “D” or “R”. The car then moves but requires more effort. Sometimes the problem resolves by itself and the check engine light and powertrain malfunction light are not displayed anymore. What could be the cause of the problem?

Please help as the lights come on quite often.

Is this the code you see??

P0705 Saab - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Possible causes

• Faulty Park/Neutral Position Switch
  • Misadjusted Park/Neutral Position Switch
  • Park/Neutral Position Switch harness is open or shorted
  • Park/Neutral Position Switch circuit poor electrical connection

When is the code detected?
The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position and sends a signal to the TCM.

Possible symptoms

• Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

P0705 Saab Description
The park/neutral position (PNP) switch includes a transmission range switch. The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position when the shift lever is in the N or P shift position and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

Sounds like you have an intermittent failure of the Park/Neutral Position switch

Saab was closed in 2009 but there is still a parts and service network to repair them. Service can be found by going here:

http://www.saabparts.com/en-us/usa/the-company/service-centers/locate-service-center/

Shouldn’t cost too much to repair. Good Luck

Mustangman, Thank you for replying promptly to my concern and for the detailed explanation.

I think the code was indeed P0705. Here are a few follow up questions:

• Are Transmission Range Sensor / Neutral Safety Switch / Neutral Position Switch the same?

• Would resolving the issue require me to replace the current Neutral Safety Switch I have in my Saab?

• Do you have an idea how much it would cost on average to repair it?

• Is it dangerous to drive my car with these lights on?

Yes

it’s the same sensor

I doubt it is dangerous to drive with the sensor acting as it does. The CEL with continue to glow at you. That, personally, drives me nuts.

You should be able to call a service center and ask them how much it would cost to replace it. They can look up the part cost and the “book hours” to replace it. Much better than any guess from me, 'cause I do all my own work. I haven’t had to replace one on my wife’s Saab yet.