Rubber Gasket Glue? To Keep Gasket From Shifting During Install

I’m doing replacing the gasket on my oil pan. I’ve done this before and found it extremely difficult to keep the gasket in place where I wanted while installing it. I saw on YouTube, some sort of glue that adheres the rubber gasket to the metal surface to help you keep it in place. But I can’t seem to find the video and don’t remember what it was called. It came in some of chap stick looking tube, except longer.

But anyways, can someone please recommend some sort of “glue” to help keep a rubber gasket adhered to the oil pan while I install it, to keep it in place and from shifting and sliding?

I saw a product like this on Amazon

Not sure if something like this would do the trick? I just need something to keep the flat rubber gasket from moving around while installing it.

My oil pan has mostly bolts and two studs.

Let me know and thanks.

I have used it. It works. If the pan gasket you are using is rubber, a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive will work to keep it in place. I have also used a thin smear of RTV. Wait for it to dry with the pan flipped sitting on the gasket with the pan on the gasket. Let it set up and install.

Just use this

Permatex sells a spray-on gasket adhesive.

Place the gasket on cardboard or whatever and spray the gasket on the side for the cover.

Let it sit for about 5 minutes and place the gasket on the cover.

Now the gasket stays in place while installing the cover.

Tester

I’ve used a thin smear of any manner of grease… :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Good question. I use the product Tester mentions above. Reasonably priced, doesn’t create a gluey mess, and it’s always done the job for my car repair and maintenance purposes.

If you run a bolt through the gasket hole, does the gasket hold the bolt in place? Lately anytime I’ve done a pan gasket, this was the case. I set the gasket in place and run each bolt through the gasket about one turn. Then I put the pan in place and start each bolt into the holes in the block, catching at least two threads. Then I tighten all the bolts in accordance with the torque pattern specified.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve used that. Tester may have a better idea. If you use the red stuff, second time around you will have to clean it all up though on both surfaces. How often do you need to do this though. I’ve only done it once in over a million miles or two.

The way I do it though is to lay the gasket on the pan, then insert some or all bolts through the pan and gasket. The gasket will hold the bolts in place while you position the pan and start the bolts.

The studs are used to hold the pan and gasket in place.

Most oil pan gaskets have a metal frame, others use RTV/no gasket.

Funny gasket story: While re-attaching my Ford’s 9-inch differential third member to the axle-case, I was concentrating so much on the gasket that I almost installed the third member upside down. Diy’ers, go figure! … lol …

Speaking for those of us who fix up old vehicles as a hobby, when you use any sort of adhesive to hold a gasket in place, please use only a little. You are trying to keep the gasket in place for a few moments, not for the next 50 years! The gasket does the sealing, not the glue!

3 Likes

Good advice. Using too much or too strong of adhesive can make removing the part later much more difficult than it needs to be. Esp problematic for heavy parts, like differential 3rd members.