Oil pan gasket, or sealant, or both?

2002 RAV4 oil pan apparently uses no gasket (just sealant) from factory, but they’re available at parts stores. If I go with a gasket, do I still need to mess with the dang glop?

2002 RAV4 oil pan apparently uses no gasket (just sealant) from factory, but they’re available at parts stores. If I go with a gasket, do I still need to mess with the dang glop?

The gasket should have instructions. When I did this, the instructions told me to use just enough sealant to hold the gasket in place. I did just that, and it doesn’t leak. Follow the instructions.

If you haven’t removed the pan yet, don’t be surprised if it doesn’t want to come off. All that sealant glues the pan to the block, and pulling it apart can be a challenge. Just keep working it and eventually it’ll come off.

Might I ask why you’re pulling the pan?

If it’s a rubber gasket I never use sealant and haven’t had any issues with leaks even though they usually recommend putting a little in the corners. The sealant sure won’t hurt anything as long as you use a small amount and get it on evenly, it will just make it harder to remove the pan if you ever need to do it again. If there was no gasket from the factory be sure to clean all the old sealant off the mating surfaces before putting the new gasket in.

] the same mountainbike 5:32PM [
] Might I ask why you’re pulling the pan? [

Kind of a long story involving a search for possible sludge after a blinking oil light. Anyway, the Toyota tech reinstalled the pan with just sealant, and now, over a year later, it’s dripping slightly.

If you use the sealant, you have to use the right one. Most Japanese cars use a grey sealant, Permatex Ultra Grey is one that meets their specs. You cannot substitute Ultra Black or Ultra Blue, they have different properties. You can download spec sheets from Permatex to get more information. It is possible that the dealer used the wrong sealant.

It is also possible that the oil leak is coming from somewhere else. Most leaks will run down the block and settle on the oil pan lip before dripping off.

The OEM’s are now turning to this product instead of gaskets for the reasons mentioned. http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm This is what was probably used on your Toyota oil pan.

Tester

That’s good stuff, it was named correctly. Its a fairly new product so it wouldn’t be in the Toyota specs, but it will do the job.

New product? I’ve been using it for the past ten years.

Tester

Copyrighted 2006. It was new to me abut two years ago when we started looking for a better sealant for our transformers. The stuff works great.