RMP to high

I have a 2004 Sebring my check engine light is on and the RMP’s are really high while Im driving. What could be going on?

Until you have the stored trouble codes read, nobody can tell you with assurance what the problem might be.
The first step is to go to an auto parts retailer (Advance, O’Reilly, possibly Napa and others) and ask them to plug their code reader into the terminal on your car. This should be free-of-charge.

The codes will be in a format similar to “P0123”. Then, come back to this thread, and post the codes for more specific advice.

Incidentally, I am assuming that you meant RPMs, rather than RMPs. Am I correct?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

BTW do you have a automatic or manual transmission? If automatic, when was the last time you had the transmission fluid changed and filter cleaned/replaced?

Look for vacume leaks or a faulty Air Idle control valve. You may also have low coolant which will throw off the AIC valve…

Something is wrong and your tranny is defaulting to 2nd gear. Get it in the shop.

I went to the Auto Shop and they hooked my car up to their code reader. They didnt tell me exactly what the codes were but they did tell me that the following came up, “Trans Output Relay” and “O2 sensor voltage low.” The strange thing is that when I started it up and drove it after they hooked it up the engine light came off and it was running fine the RPM’s stopped going so high. What does this mean should I be getting anything fixed?

First, you need to get the actual codes whenever you have them read. Just ask.

But in this case it doesn’t matter much. As Goldwing noted, just take it to a transmission shop since my guess is that he is right - it is going into “limp mode.” When the code was cleared it took it out of limp mode. But if the problem is detected again you’ll be back at square one.

I did take it to a Transmission Shop this is where the information came from. He told me that the codes didnt mean much. So should I be getting something fixed?
Acutally I was driving it today and it started boing it again its like when Im low on gas is when it starts acting up. Do you thing I should just bring it back to them or should I just get something fixed like to o2 sensor?

I took it into a Transmission shop they hooked it up and then test drove it. As soon as he got into the car it the CEL came off and the RPM were fine. So he just told me to bring it back when it did it again.
Today I was driving it and it did it again. The tranny shop told me that the Code Reader read the following “Trans output relay” and “o2 sensor voltage low” He said it was nothing to worry about. What should I do should I get something fixed?

An O2 sensor isn’t going to do a thing but dump money where it doesn’t belong.

But without the actual codes no one here can help you. Check your invoice or call the transmission shop and ask for the specific codes. They look like “P1234.” Trust me, the codes mean plenty regardless of what this shop said. They might have meant that the codes don’t tell them enough to make a diagnosis. Codes are not magical things that tell you what is wrong. They only tell you where to start looking for a diagnosis.

At the moment though, your description of the problem is really lacking. First you said the RPMs are really high (which would happen if you drive to drive over about 40 with the transmission stuck in 2nd gear) and now you say its like you’re low on gas -? Ok - well being low on gas won’t do anything to your car unless you have a failing fuel pump that is getting overheated.

So maybe now is a good time to give a much better description of what the car is doing - 5 senses - sights, sounds, smells, feelings…well, ok 4 senses b/c I doubt tasting is involved. Start at the very beginning. “I start out from the driveway, I press on the gas, and then…I see…hear…feel…” Include speeds & rpms.

And just get the exact codes.

SORRY to confuse you.
I talked about the gas because the only time the CEL comes on and the RPM start acting up is when my gas light comes on and I am low on gas. I dont know if this could be related.
I will get the exact codes for you tomorrow I will call the shop.
Thanks for your reply.

OK - well. That’s a whole different ballgame. Of course, we only went from “high RPMs” to “acting up” - so its still hard to say what is going on. But if this problem truly only occurs when your low gas light goes on then 1) don’t let the car go below about 1/4 tank for now; 2) you need to tell a good, local mechanic about this. Your fuel pump is an electric motor. When a motor runs it gets hot. The fuel in your gas tank actually helps keep your fuel pump cool. Heat causes increases in electrical resistance. You let the tank get very low, your fuel pump gets hot - it doesn’t work so well anymore. This may be related to a history of running the tank down low. You probably need a new fuel pump.