Reverse parking sensors

Hello,
I am exploring aftermarket parking sensors. It seems like most sensors have a dead zone of at least 20 cm. Are there parking sensors with a smaller dead zone?

Edit: I live in the area of Tel Aviv and parking spots are hard to find and so it is really helpful to park in tight spots.

No, there is no need for them to work that closely as the obstacle warning will be screaming.

Unless you live in Europe, especially France, there is no need to be that close.

1 Like

+1
Why would somebody be seeking technology that allows him/her to get even closer to a vehicle that they could easily damage?

Basically, I need to be able to park in tight spots. I know that some systems display the distance as well as making a sound.

I’d suggest going with a backup camera instead. Make sure it’s aimed so that you can see your own rear bumper. Then you don’t have to try and interpret whether the solid beeping means you’re 20 or 2cm from the other car, you can see it for yourself.

Of course, there’s still the front of the car to worry about, but at least you’ll have the back covered.

4 Likes

Hmm… Maybe that is the best solution.
Some combination of backup sensor and camera.

GM used sound to show location when backing up about two generations ago. We had it on our 2003 Silhouette. They now use cameras, and I think it’s an improvement.

1 Like

Those backup beepers when away with backup cameras.

My 2019 Nissan Frontier has both. However, the truck’s basic design came out in 2005, before backup cameras were common so this may just be a holdover with the camera added when they became legally required.

We have rear blind spot radar and a rear view camera on our 2019 Odyssey EX-L. The blind spot monitor is more for backing into traffic and lane changes when underway. That stuff is too expensive as an add on for existing vehicles IMO, especially for parking.