Adding visual display to parking sensors

Hi. I just bought a new car with cheap aftermarket rear parking sensors fitted. The sensors near the sides are super sensitive, so they’re almost useless unless I’m backing up to a wall with nothing within 1.5m either side of the car. So, I’m thinking I need to replace the sensors with better quality ones, and/or add a visual display (e.g. a bar that has coloured lighting to indicate proximity) so I can understand which sensors are going off and thus where to check if I’m close to bumping anything.

As such, I have 2 questions:

1. Would swapping the sensors be simple? E.g. Are the holes needed in the bumper likely to be the same for most aftermarket sensors? Would I have to swap the control box as well? Or is it the control box that needs replacing?

2. If I wanted just add a visual display for the sensors, can I just get this separately and plug it into the preexisting control box? Or if the control box needs to be replaced too, could I keep the same parking sensors and change control box that goes with visual display?

Basically, I’m all thumbs so don’t want to have to take any bumpers off or rewire anything if I don’t have to. Thanks in advance!

Based on the above, doing this job is not for you.

3 Likes

@old_mopar_guy Likely so. But it would still be useful to know what the options would entail so I can either try myself or know what I need to ask someone else to do, if you can help at all? Cheers.

Do you have a backup camera? I’d imagine that would be more useful than just sensors.

1 Like

You will need to inspect the control module for an empty cavity to connect a display. Then find a display that is compatible with that system. You might check to see if the alert sensitivity is adjustable.

Probably easier to buy a new system with the features you want, they are inexpensive (see system below). Or install a back-up camera/monitor, these are less than $100.