Retrofitting an oldie to a mod goldie

I have an old 77 ford f100, and I love its classic body. However i am not a big fan of its loud fuel inefficient v8 classic engine. Is there a way to retrofit the old body with a modern 2000ish v6 ford which is quiet and fuel efficient engine? I am not an engineer but i imagine it takes some custom mounting and some precise alignment of the turning engine ?

Just takes $$$, of course. But you could spend much less fixing up the current V8. Loud? Put on a good set of dual exhausts with good mufflers. Gas milage? What condition is the engine in? Does it burn oil? You could retrofit fuel injection (check out Edelbrock.com) for much less than a custom engine swap.

That guy that the “Pawn Stars” use for their vehicle fix ups could do it, give him a call.

If your pockets are deep enough, you can do it. How much are you willing to spend?

Are you considering the retrofit a DIY job? What engine is in the truck? Is it automatic or manual?

BTW, On a dare I retrofit a Ford Courier(Mazda) engine and transmission into a 1960 Ford Ranchero. The devil is in the details…

Modern engines (and transmissions) have modern emissions and computerized control systems that would make a engine swap cost as much as a new truck…

The engine runs but I think the carburetor gets flooded easy. I had not thought of the duel exhaust with mufflers, thank you. How do i know if the engine burns oil? I am considering fuel injection. THank you.

How do I found out who that is? google?

They are not that deep, i was hoping to dish out no more than 2 grand to get it running again.

I would love to be able to learn the trade of the repair, but would have to spend considerable time in books and auto school. Which I am not opposed to. How do I find out what engine is in the truck? It is “three on the tree”/manual.

How profound. Thanks for the insight about the “devil in the details”.

Sounds like I should keep it simple. Looks like my plan at this point is 1) tune the carburetaor 2) set up fuel injection 3)dual exhaust and good mufflers

I’d do 1 and 3, and then think (hard) about 2, it’s not cheap. Your carb may need to be rebuilt, in which case you might either have it done (if you can find someone that can do it, few do) or buy a rebuilt carb (they’re ~$250 at Rockauto). Also, nothing you can do will get you ‘good’ fuel economy, it’s a big, old, heavy pickup, after all.

No way are you going to get parts + labor for an engine swap for 2 grand unless “labor” is the local car club doing it for beer and pizza, and you source the part from someone who already swapped engines and just wants to get rid of the spare.

Probably have to watch the “Pawn Stars” show to find out who is their mechanic ,he gives his bussiness name everytime he is featured.

I have seen some pretty good swaps. Nissan V-6 in a previously watercooled Westfalia VW Camper Bus, there was a kit for this. Small block Chevy is a 911 (and just about everything else)

OP I would go the route already mentioned. Lay some 2010 tech on that 77 engine.