Resonators

Here’s some good reading material . . .

http://www.techshopmag.com/Article/124569/why_f1_matters_this_year_new_technology_makes_for_a_better_show.aspx

Typical street turbo runs 5-15 psi of boost. 30-100% over atmospheric pressure.
Last I read (in the '80s?) F1 turbos ran ~60 psi, 5X atmospheric. So theoretically up to 5X the HP of non boosted at a given rpm.

So a 1.6l econobox engine that makes 100hp @ 6000rpm could make, say, 400hp with 60psi boost.
Then bump the rpm to 12,000, maintain good breathing, and you’re at 800hp.
Of course the bottom end has to be shored up a bit. ;o)

@GeorgeSanJose‌ we could do it in street cars too, but owners wouldn’t appreciate having to rebuild the motor every 500 miles :wink:

Yeah it would be bad. That manly sound to you is irritating noise to me, not manly.

@Thatoneguy7315, wouldn’t it be more effective to examine your feelings of inadequacy than modify your truck?

they still make the “cherry bombs”, I have them on my truck

@Whitey, I think you could make the same point without bringing the OP’s, ahem, equipment into it.

Okay, I’ll try, but the irony of wesw’s post being right after mine might make my head explode.

nope your edit is still rude. do we really want to run people off with insults

Thanks, @Whitey. I’m not sure whether you’re going to get any mileage out of psychologizing the OP, because when one is acting out one’s problems, one cannot converse about them insightfully.

And I learned something today, because I always naively assumed that “cherry bomb” was a literal description of the explosive. I had to check Urban Dictionary for that one.

A lot of us that are a bit “long in the tooth” grew up with Cherry Bombs (Cherry Bomb mufflers). They were a part of hot rodding in the '60s and '70s.

There are also Cherry Bomb explosives, small spherical red explosives with a stem-like wick. Kids (some of them overage) use them for 4th of July celebrations, but they are dangerous and I personally would never use them. People have lost digits by mishandling Cherry Bombs.

I respectfully urge you not to moderate the forum to the point of reading things into posts that were not intended. Personal attacks, insults, and inappropriate language should definitely be addressed, and/or edited out, but IMHO nobody in this thread has wandered into those areas. As a matter of fact many regulars have policed the forum themselves for many years now. If you strive to stop double-entendres and attempts at levity, you risk the forum losing its enjoyment value… and good people disappearing.

Sincere respect,
TSM

TSM, since this the second time you’ve mentioned it this evening, I want to clarify without defensiveness what I was getting at in this particular thread, because I am going to go back into the woodwork afterwards. I’ve been in here a lot in the last couple of weeks.

But my comment about the cherry bomb was not to say that I was censoring it or disapproved - I was responding to Whitey’s comment that his head was exploding about the cherry bomb comment not being responded to. I asked him to backpedal on his comment about the erectile dysfunction and OP’s “size” because I thought it was insulting to someone who’s not a regular here. Familiarity brings liberties.

There’s a tremendous sense of fellowship here, I do not intend to tamper with it, and I am trying to exercise some humility about the job I have. Thank you for your feedback, but indirectly my comments are taking things off topic. You can e-mail me or message me if you wish to continue. I’ll adjust accordingly.

@cdaquila,

Sorry. Trying to be helpful with E.D. and feelings of physical inadequacy are my go-to responses whenever someone wants to make a vehicle louder or taller (with a lift kit). It usually goes over better than it did this time. :slight_smile:

Cdaquila, I sincerely appreciate your response as well as respect your points and you as a moderator. I apologize if I misunderstood your posts. I also recognize that you’re actively trying to keep the threads from becoming verbal “knife fights” as a few of them perhaps did in the past, and I think that’s a good thing. Please do not feel like you have to “go back into the woodwork”. Remember that you too are a member of this community.

I’m also a believer that we, the posters, should accept the responsibility ourselves to behave like adults and “police” ourselves against personal attacks, profanity, and language that detracts from having a place where we can come to openly debate any issues related to cars including auto-related legislation and regulatory enforcement, the automotive and repair “businesses”, etc.

This is an exceptional forum. I accept responsibility as a member of the community here to work to keep it that way.

Have a beautiful day. You deserve it.
TSM