Replacing the battery positive terminal clamp

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE. I would like to replace battery positive terminal clamp due to corrosion I couldn’t clean off. Based on the image of its replacement (Toyota 9098205061), it doesn’t look difficut at all, but I wanted to run this by the community because if you look at the negative terminal clamp, you have to unclamp its one end from the copper wires coming out of electrical sheating. I don’t have a tool to do this unclamping, but I would hope this kind of umclamping the copper wires is not needed to replace the positive terminal clamp… Anyone know for sure. Is replacing the positive terminal an easy DIY which I’m hoping is the case unlike the negative terminal clamp? Your inputs are appreciated.

And this is how the negative terminal, which doesn’t need to be replaced looks like on 2014 Toyota RAV4negative post You can see how the clamp is one piece and its one end is clamping the copper wires coming out of electrical sheathing. I need to make sure that positive terminal clamp is NOT a one piece like the negative terminal clamp…

The cables can be removed from the terminal, they are held on by the stud and nut. Before loosening the clamp from the battery, loosen the 12 mm nut, it is very tight and the battery helps hold the clamp steady.

A memory saver is suggested by me. Pretty lame setup, can you replace the entire cable?

Bolt-on clamp, easy to replace when damaged. No need to replace the cable, saves you hundreds of dollars.

3 Likes

Do not know what the other end of the cable looks like

I guess you can’t go wrong by changing the entire cable. It appears to be corrosion is concentrated on the positive terminal clamp. Is there a good YouTube video demoing positive cable replacement on Toyota RAV4? I couldn’t find it. I would like to see the steps.

I understand if that big retainer coming out the black sheathing breaks while replacing the clamp, then I’ll be in trouble. As of now everything around the clamp and clamp is holding well. No problem at this time.

Found this, looks fairly standard, that is the way I would go. https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-cable/toyota/rav4/2014

There are two cables, on the end of the large cable is an eyelet, the other cable is part of the engine compartment harness, $2300.

2 Likes

I must stand corrected, I guess, dang internet!

Well, at price in that range, then I’ll just have to replace the clamp first and see how it goes. I wish there is YouTube video demonstrating changing the clamp on 2014 Toyota RAV4. I see some on Avalon and Camry, but none on RAV4,

Toyota uses those clamps on most Toyota and Lexus vehicles, they are all the same. I sometimes see the old clamp still on the old battery core, it is common to replace that clamp. Those are thin steel clamps, disposable.

After removing the battery and battery clamp, dip the cable ends in a bowl of very hot tap water, the acid and corrosion will drop right off the metal in 30 seconds, no special cleaners needed. After drying, give the cable ends a quick cleaning with a wire brush.

I’d do a wire brush and some baking soda. Then coat with dielectric grease.

2 Likes

Buy the big tube, then you never need to buy another one. A little goes a long way.

I’m on my third! I use it for everything, including inside lights.

1 Like

Since the OP sounds inexperienced, I will remind him that nothing should be done until the memory saver is installed and then the negative terminal MUST be removed. This is a safety issue.

Frankly, if you need a step by step video specific to your exact model car, you need to ask yourself if you should even be doing this yourself vs. taking it to a mechanic.

5 Likes

If I had that problem, I’d first experiment a bit to see if I could clean-up the existing clamp. Baking soda sol’n, wire brush, a little filing, replace the worse of the fasteners, etc. I have a 30 year old Corolla, and have re-jigged the battery clamps several times over the years, but never had to replace them. Keeping the battery surface clean and well maintained is helpful too.

Shops often have special crimping tools that allow them to install a new clamp onto the existing wire, if you prefer a new clamp & you aren’t successful with installing one yourself.

I’ve never tired the boiling hot water method but I’ll give it a go next time.

1 Like