Replacing cv boot/ drive axle

Hello, I have a 1992 honda accord that has a inner cv boot tear. I’m thinking of replacing it myself, I have read repair manuals and watched how to do it videos on youtube. My question is with the wishbone suspension. Is it critical that I dropped the car down then tighten the bolt or it doesnt really matter? Also any words of wisdom before I take on this task?

THANK YOU…

The vehicle doesn’t need to be on the ground to tighten the bolt. If you haven’t done so, liberally soak that bolt with a penetrating lubricant. That bolt can sometimes be a bear to remove.

Tester

You can have someone hold down the brake pedal while you tighten that bolt, or you can drop the car to the ground to do it, but tightening that bolt is crucial. You need a big torque wrench.

See thread below.

The OP isn’t talking about the axle nut. They’re talking about the lower strut mount to control arm mounting bolt.

Tester

Can I tighten the mounting bolt on the lower strut mount to the control arm while on the jack or must i lower the car first?
Also right now the right has only the tear. Should I also replace the left side ?
Thank you…

You mean jackstand I hope?

No. The vehicle doesn’t have to be lowered to tighten that bolt.

If the left side CV boots are intact there’s no reason to replace the halfshaft.

Tester

Yes :slight_smile: the jackstand, excellent thank you very much, well wish me good luck…

Suspension bolts that go through rubber bushings should be tightened at ride hight, on the ground so that the bushing is at a neutral position. Threre is not much twist in the strut to lower control arm bushing but with the other control arm bushings tightening the fasteners while off the ground will preload the bushing and shorten the life of the bushing.

Any list of tools that I would need?

Any suggestions on how to execute that Nevada_545?

I use the alignment rack/drive on lift. You might be able to reach the bolt while parked on 4-6" stack of boards or on car ramps.

I sometimes use this to force the bolt out of strut mount/control arm if becomes stubborn to remove. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM3278823402P

Tester

You don’t need to go through all that.

The bolt and the bushing are splined. When you raise the vehicle and the lower control arm hangs the rubber in the bushing is relaxed. Then when you reinstall the splined bolt into the splined bushing and lower the vehicle, the bushing returns back to it’s normal ride position.

Tester