Replaced fuel pressure sensor and now won't start

I replaced the fuel pressure sensor in my freestar…I drove it around for a minute then noticed a strong smell of gas. I stopped and then put the old sensor back in and now it won’t start. Please help me!!!

Why was the fuel rail sensor replaced in the first place?

My check engine light was on. When I tested it the code it read wad fuel rail pressure sensor. I replaced that a few months ago not OEM part and the check engine light didn’t go off I was told it was because the part wasn’t OEM. At junkyard I picked up a fuel rail pressure sensor that was OEM. Put it in and it wouldn’t seal so I then removed and put back on the non OEM sensor now it won’t start it started before that I also just replaced the spark plugs & wires and coil. IT started after replacing everything and I drove it for 50 ft smelled gas stopped and turned off.

I’m confused. Is it running now but with a gas smell or not running?

Does it now have the OEM from the junkyard or the non-OEM sensor?

You said it started “after replacing everything” but you drove 50 feet, smelled gas and shut it off. Was gas leaking, or could it have been gas from the project of changing the sensor now getting blown by the cooling fan? Could you confirm a leak?

it is not running now…After i put the NON OEM sensor back on it stopped running…I’m about to go back out right now and put the OEM sensor on with new o ring and see if it runs.

There is no code that tells you to replace the fuel rail pressure sensor. Only codes that tell you the sensor is not reporting a value that is within expected ranges. Could be a faulty sensor, could be poor fuel pressure, could be a wiring problem, any number of things. You need to return to basics. Check fuel pressure, check for spark, etc.

1 Like

No-starts are a good thing actually. Why? B/c the problem is usually something very simple. For a car that cranks but doesn’t start, easiest first step is to test for spark at the spark plugs. The best way to do this varies, the way I do it is connect a spare spark plug to a spark plug wire, hold the threaded part of the spark plug against a chassis ground, and look for a bluish-white spark jump the gap as a helper cranks the engine.

If you got spark, then you test for fuel next. Spark plus fuel pretty much has to result in a running engine. I mean if itran ok just before you made some minor repairs like spark plugs and sensors.

There’s one problem with this approach. iIf the engine is flooded it doesn’t work. You can have good spark and plenty of fuel but the engine won’t start if it is already flooded. Have your cranked the engine a lot in the process of trying to get it to start? Sometimes that can severely flood the engine and the only way to get it to start is to remove the spark plugs and let the gasoline in the cylinders evaporate overnight first. Ask me how I know this … lol …