Fuel pump motor

I believe I need to replace ford fuel pump in my 2004 ford freestar…Is it possible to just purchase the pump motor and use that? They are much cheaper and I have limited funds at the moment. Thanks.

–>My pump was find before I replaced the coils, spark plugs & wires so could it be something I did? Thank you.

Highly likely.
Can you give us why you changed the ignition components?
What are the current symptoms that lead you to believe you need a new pump?

ok…well it initially all began way back in June. I was driving on highway and the vehicle just stalled. I restarted the van and kept driving. Then my check engine light came on and had it tested at auto zone it said fuel rail pressure sensor. I ordered one online and replaced it. However the code didn’t reset. The part i ordered was aftermarket. …Since then the problem has become more severe. With sudden stalls and also anytime I fill it up with gas and its more then half a tank it won’t start at the gas station. It will act like it has no fuel. I have to put very little gas in it.Someone mentioned it could need parts replaced. I looked at the spark plugs and the filaments were almost gone…So I replaced the coil, spark plugs and spark plug wires. At the same time I replaced the fuel pressure sensor with a new one i had picked up at junkyard…After replacing these parts I turned vehicle on and started driving about 50ft. I could smell gas really bad and stopped car. I then swapped out the fuel pressure sensor with the original one that was on it.(aftermarket) since then the van won’t start now…It acts as if it isn’t getting spark.

The only suggestion I can offer is to get a diagnosis. Since your funds are limited, see if your local community college or high school offers an automotive technology program. If so, speak with the department chair and ask if they’ll diagnose the problem during their labs. It’s a longshot, but it’s free to ask.

You may indeed need a pump. But that can be determined diagnostically by applying 12VDC to the pump and testing the line pressure.

Did the replacement coil pack also come from the boneyard? The coil pack can also be easily tested, but to do that you’ll need a way to check the voltage pulses, and a shop will have that equipment. Without that, it’ll be tough to nail this down as the cause.

My concern is that you may have a cause entirely different from what you’ve been looking at… like a Crank Position Sensor (CPS). You’d need the equipment and knowledge to test that.

I am very concerned about the gas leak as a safety issue. It would be a good investment to have that properly installed so there’re no leaks. I’d be more suspect of the boneyard one than the aftermarket one as to the function, but the biggest issue is the leak.

NOTE: someone may suggest checking for spark by holding a spare plug against the engine to ground it and looking for spark… PLEASE, don’t try this until the gas leak is resolved. Throwing a high-voltage spark in an environment rich with gas vapors is a recipe for disaster.

I wish I could say “do this and it’ll be fixed”, but this isn’t that simple.

depends on your skills. dropping fuel tank is not easy. than you pull fuel pump assy and than remove fuel pump motor from assy. you may find the pump works fine outside of tank. could be a bad wiring connection in harness inside tank. that’s usually a GM thing but you can never tell. van is not running now? so it has no fuel pressure?

Before considering to replace the pump, ask your shop to verify by probing with a volt meter the pump is getting the voltage it needs. No electrical pump will work if it isn’t getting its proper power supply voltage. And faults in the power supply to the fuel pump are a pretty common thing reported here; when that happens usually the fuel pump relay has failed or the electrical connector at the fuel pump has failed. Those are much easier to fix than replacing the pump.

If the power supply to the pump is ok, it could still be something besides the pump, like the fuel filter is plugged up. So you’d want to have a fuel rail pressure test done. As part of that they can do a test on the pump itself. I think they call that “dead heading the pump” test.