Silverado 1500 won't start after fuel tank pressur sensor errors

I have a 2002 chevy silverado 1500 I got my fuel pump replaced it was by my buddy while he was dropping the tank he broke a fuel line and had to replace it. So about 4 days after that my check engine light came on and it said it was the fuel tank pressure sensor so i had a professional replace it and like 4 days later the check engine light came back on and it said it was the fuel tank pressure sensor again i ignored it and drove on it for like 2 months i could smell a small gas ordor every once inawhile so yesterday i was leaving work stopped at the gas station and went to start it and it wouldnt start i had it jumped and it started and i took it home and now the lights wont come on or the radio and it wont turn over no sounds at all i thought it was the battery i had it checked out and its not the battery so im lost of what it could be a day before this happen when i started the truck all the lights came off so i turned it off then back on and they all came back on then the next day thats when it broke down can anyone tell me what it could be?

My guess, liquid gas got somewhere it is not supposed to be, such as (if equipped) the charcoal canister.

So i took the battery out again and decided to clean the corrosion off the battery terminals 100 percent put everything back on and everything is working lights and radio and it fired right up i drove it around the block no issues and the check light engine is gone im so confused its been broke down since thursday

You fixed the problem yourself, by cleaning the corrosion off the battery connections.
The corrosion was keeping the current from passing thru to the ignition and starter.

Yosemite

You probably had two unrelated problems there OP. The first, something to do with the fuel tank, and the other the battery or battery connections. The latter problem often shows up this time of the year, b/c it is colder. One suggestion, be sure for your future questions here to make it clear when posting a “won’t start” whether it is a “cranks ok but won’t catch and run” or a “fails to crank”. the solutions for those aren’t the same.

If your battery is more than 3 years old, good idea to get it tested. This symptom tends to suggest a marginal battery. You don’t want it failing when you need your truck to start one cold and snowing night come mid-winter. It’s also possible as part of the fuel tank work the mechanic disconnected the battery, and then didn’t get it quite connected up again exactly right when he buttoned the truck back up.

1 Like