Replace transmission on a 2002 Honda Accord?

Hmmmm…so are you saying that spending a lot more money on a rebuilt or new transmission is a better gamble on a car like this? I hardly think so. Used is the smart way to go.

Well, yes. If you have me rebuild or install rebuilt transmission in your car, it comes with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. If there’s a problem with it during the warranty period, the repair is covered. Also, a rebuilt transmission often comes with supercessions or upgrades not found in the factory original build. So that reman trans may actuall last longer.

If you have me install a used transmission, it comes with no warranty. Leaving you with the chance that you may have paid me for a transmission that doesn’t work and then having to pay me again to do the same job.

Used Honda transmissions are a poor bet…How much are they asking to replace the transmission?? Is your car in the transmission shop now or a general repair shop or a dealership?

Prices for rebuilding / replacing a Honda transmission can vary greatly…So do your homework and shop around…Does your car have a rubber timing belt? If so, that’s coming up too, another $600 or so…

When considering a used transmission the risk depends partially on the labor to replace the transmission if found to be defective.

Replacing a transmission on a RWD pick-up is a 2.5 hour job and perhaps something you can do in your driveway.

Replacing the transmission on a 2002 Accord is between 8.5 and 10 hours labor and not something most would attempt at home. If you live in a large city with labor rates of $125 per hour one might favor a rebuilt over a salvage transmission.

Both engines in the 2002 Accord used a timing belt.

If you are confident that your transmission has failed then you might want to call ETE Reman in Milwaukee to ask if they have incorporated improvements into the apparently known weak Honda transmission in your car. That is a worthy question. I am not shilling for them but that is what I would do. ETE Reman is fairly new company that apparently has resources that some trans rebuilders might not have. If OK, then you need to ask a trans shop if they can get that brand for you.

http://etereman.com/

Second choice would be a scrapyard trans from a lower mileage wreck. It’s too easy to lie over the phone so you may want to see the wrecked car or at least a photo of the car and the odometer.

PS, I found a number of 2002 Honda Accord transmissions in EBay. A reman unit that sells for $1085 has an explanation in the listing that describes the weakness of this transmission.

These decisions are hard to make. Some years ago, I had what I thought was a lovely old Pontiac 8 or 9 passenger wagon. It was just plain nice.

So, when the motor got bad, I chose to spend $1700 for a major rebuild, a long time ago.

He did a great job, Motor ran perfectly. But, soon the body started deteriorating, and the door seals let water in, and the car got a moldy smell. I sold it to a buddy for $1 and he drove it a long time. Then his step-son drove it after that. one day it died on the Interstate so his son took his stuff and just left it for the tow truck to haul off.

In my hindsight, it was a mistake to put the money in that motor though it seemed right at the time.

Now, here in Mexico, the same car could have the body fixed up as good as new at very modest cost. But, I wasn’t in Mexico at that time, and the OP isn’t here, either.

@irlandes Yes, body work is very expensive when done right. I’ve gotten rid of 4 cars because the bodies were on a downhill path. On three of the cars the mechanicals were still good. Of those 4 two were scrapped outright, and the other two sold for $700 or so each. They were not unsafe, just unsightly.