Replace all fuel lines with nylon and hose clamps?

I have a 1994 F150 I’m re building. Is it safe to replace all the metal lines with nylon fuel hose and hose clamps instead of buying the plastic quick connects? If a hose clamp is safe I don’t see the point of using quick connects.

It is not recommended on an engine with fuel injection. Fuel injection has a higher pump pressure than your old carbureted type of system, and the pressure may blow the line off. This could cause a fire.

Though I have done it on my own vehicles in the past, it is not recommended.

Yosemite

Do not use nylon lines. Don’t.

Repair the lines properly or replace them with 200 psi rated hoses compatible with gas containing ethanol and the correct fittings. Or get a really big fire extinguisher and never, ever ride with a passenger.

No, use NiCopp brake lines because it doesn’t rust like steel does.It is much easier to work with than regular steel.

Yes it’s safe.

Dorman sells a kit just for this purpose.

Tester

Nothing wrong with replacing metal lines as long as the proper hose is used; as in fuel injection hose.

The problem with that is that some F.I. hose can be pricy. Around here it’s about 6 bucks a foot and if you’re redoing an entire vehicle that’s going to add up to a bunch.

I thought he was talking those 50 cent hose clamps. Even on my transmission line they had to use two of them and still they had a tendency to come loose and dump the fluid. Yeah do it properly with the proper clamps for the high pressure.

It’s not that expensive.

AutoZone has 10ft of nylon fuel line for $14.00.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-systems/nylon-tubing/dorman-3-8-in-x-10-ft-nylon-fuel-line-tubing/839122_0_0#

Tester

Have they changed the law? NY State had strict limits on how much non metal fuel line could be used.

Not recommended? Expensive?

It seems that Ford has used nylon fuel lines from tank to engine on some models for the last 30 years. I believe Thunderbirds and LTDs in the 1980’s had plastic fuel lines with tags that read “caution/fuel”. This was a concern for those using a cutting torch when performing exhaust system repairs.

When changing from metal to plastic be cautious of areas of chafing and heat sources like the exhaust system.