Need help with my fuel lines

I need to change out my fuel supply line as it is rotted out. When talking off the clip that connects the steel line to the nylon line, I see a flare about 1.5 inches in the line. How do I make this flare on my new line?

Processing: B754F5D7-540D-492C-B643-690B15393517.jpeg…Preformatted text

I don’t think you need it. I believe it is meant to stop the nylon line from going any further onto the steel line. If you want to out a stop there, consider using tape. It only has to last long enough to slip the nylon line onto the steel line. You could use a clamp to hold the nylon line in place.

The way to create the flare is to clamp the steel line on both sides of where you want the flare, then push the two clamped sections together. Clearly, you need shaped clamps to hold the steel tube around the perimeter and a strong press to push the line sections together. You probably don’t have those tools and they aren’t worth buying for this.

That looks like the end that receives a quick-connect fuel line so the flared portion MUST be there to hold the flexible line in place.

You need to buy a tool like this…

3 Likes

Is there any way to buy one of those cheaper flaring tools. Or is that just to create the flare at the end of a line. Here is a link to the tool I found. Will this work?

Thorstone Double & Single Flaring Tool Kit for Brake Line and Brass Tubing Tool with Extra Adapters, 45 Degrees, Red https://a.co/d/3Kwq36Z

The best option IMO is to replace the bad line with the proper line ordered from the parts store. It will come pre fitted with the flares. Or take it to a shop.

2 Likes

No that kit will not work.

I would just replace part of the line but the whole line is basically bad so it wouldn’t make sense to do that. I might go down to the Toyota dealership and see if they have a preshapen line. It sucks because I would like to put a copper alloy pipe in instead of steel but oh well. That $300 tool is the only thing that would work? Is there any tool that’s like $20 for a job like this?

No, it will not work. You might find a cheaper version of the tool I posted on Ebay, new or used but you need the correct tool.

Do NOT use copper tubing. Copper plated steel is OK but copper plumbing tubing is not.

2 Likes

Instead of buying tools that you may never use again just call a few local shops and see if this is something they can do . My feeling is that messing with fuel lines as a first repair attempt could result in smething bad happening.

3 Likes

Copper nickel alloy tube can be used. Here’s the link:

4LIFETIMELINES True Copper-Nickel Alloy Non-Magnetic Brake Line Tubing Coil, 5/16 x 25 https://a.co/d/5kKKKwI

I am aware that dealing with gasoline can turn bad if it’s not done right but I think I am able to do it. I think I am going to buy the prefitted line and put it in myself. I’ll put it in place and connect the two points

2 Likes

Good choice. This is one of those situations where you are backed into a corner. Without very sophisticated tools you just can’t copy that line, and the effort it would take to come up with some work-around isn’t worth it.

1 Like

Doing part of the 1st step using a double flare tool will make the flare on the end of the tube. That’s what I did. I did not have the tools to make the second flare farther down the line, but I think it’s just there to keep the hose from going too far down. The Toyota dealer has all the replacement lines that are all bent correctly. They should even have replacement plastic holders for the fuel and brake lines. I should have just bought the lines when I replaced mine. Bending them by hand took way too long. They’re only about $65 each.

If you damage the coating on the fuel lines you can sand them a little and then paint with POR-15 or a similar durable quality paint.

Does the Corolla have a plastic or steel gas tank? I wire brushed out the bad spots on mine and sprayed on new rubberized undercoating.

This is probably wrong. I believe @Mustangman is right on this one. But you will know because you disassembled it. If there was a quick disconnect, do it right and use special tools or replace lines or take it in. Pretty senseless to Jerryrig fuel or brake lines.

2 Likes

They use that exact type of flare going to a hose and hose clamp. Maybe it’s used for a quick disconnect too.

I’m basing my idea on it’s a fuel line. They don’t use hose clamps for them and definitely not the high pressure side.

3 Likes

They use it for the fuel return and tank vent for sure. The fuel supply is larger and uses flare fittings, at least on the Camry.

All any of us can do is guess at this point.

How can anyone give any solid advice when the OP hasn’t told us the year of this Corolla?

For all we know, there may be a recall for this vehicle for rotting fuel lines?

Tester

1 Like

Yes copper nickel can be used. My concern was you using copper lines used for plumbing.

If not used to hold the quick connect, flares in pressure lines are there so that the hose can be pushed over it and the clamp applied behind it for a positive retention under pressure. Similar to a hose barb.