Removing old turbo and installing a new turbo unit

Understandable, It’s rough too since ask me about starter, seph belt, alternator… all the car parts, i understand. Superchargers, injectors, swaybars aftermarkets, turbos im completely blind in. But I wanted a project to dip my toes in, even if I paid someone to install everything, just wanted it done right.

Now since is what it is, cant trust this mechanic really, I mean im in a catch 22, i cant really say put my car together im not getting service here after they spent couple hours removing everything. However, i felt them saying oh this is issue, this needs rebuild, this… I feel like was potentially a common mechanic scam of adding things that aren’t really needed as no one has heard of flaking.

So I ordered the new same exact turbo since rebuild was more expensive then a new one. However i said well, he said 700-800 for the rebuild and taking it off reinstalling, (before wastegate was “flaking” which i confirmed would cost more to redo housing) I asked how much to uninstall and reinstall turbo, and connect o2 and the turbo timer all that. I heard a couple hundred over the phone in the background since he was asking the boss. But then was told $500 for removal and installation after i waited 2 weeks to hear my turbo is basically barley replaceable and would cost more then the unit itself, could of asked grease monkey 19/20 y/o friends to help take it off, but like i said wanted a
“certified” person working on it. by grease monkey just saying project cars and DYI friends not in degeatory way. But there’s one tune shop that does performance work and called them asking for price on turbo install and removal but waiting on call back to make sure im not getting ripped off for $500 for couple hours of labor and being held hostage for 2 weeks unable to drive to work. 6am too so not like buses of family is willing to do that lmao!

kinda a s### hole situation :confused: