Rebuilt tranny?

I have a 98 Honda Civic with 235,500 miles on it. I’ve never had to have any major work done, but recently discovered that my transmission is on it’s way out. I was quoted the price of $1650 for a rebuilt transmission, installed, with warranty. Does that sound right? It seems a bit much compared to what other people are telling me, but I don’t know.

Also, do you think replacing my transmission is worth it? I can’t really buy a new/used car that can drive as much as my car does. And, other than a couple minor things, my car is pretty good. I would like to keep it, but want to make sure I’m making the right choice. What do you think?

I’ll let others comment on the price quote. If it is a quality rebuild on the transmission and it is installed properly you should be OK on that front. It doesn’t stop other parts of the car from failing, but it has been a good car so far. Keep up the normal maintenance. Once you say it is an old car and I’m not going to do the stuff like change the oil regularly etc., then the car will deteriorate quickly.

$1650 installed with warranty this alone is not a bad deal.You realise you can’t buy new what you have used,no decision to make there.

You have 235K on the car,this is on the high end. Do nothing to harm your car (drive with low oil,operating while overheating) and another 70K can be had.

You had no other choice than repair,you got a fair deal on the trans,and keep up what you have already been doing.

$1650 installed sounds almost too good to be true…Unless great progress has been made rebuilding Honda Transmissions…This was once a $3200 job, which usually totaled the car…Ask some more questions, get a couple more quotes…

I agree with Caddyman on the price - looks quite a bit too low to me. Are you sure that the proposal isn’t for a used trans from a salvage yard? Quality rebuilds will often come with something like a 3yr/36K warranty. What are you being offered?

1650 with a warrenty sounds like a great deal… Id replace it instead of buying another headache that you might have to sink more money into. You know your car and its motor performence body shape and so on is it worth it to you or would it be better to buy a car you know nothing about…

I would specifically look at engines/and trannies brought to US from Japan, and not salvage yards. I did this in Atlanta and found a great tranny for my Legend Acura for $450 without the differential (had burned 2ndry clutch packs). I shipped it to Detroit for $85 by rail to a good tranny shop and they installed for $500. This tranny was a huge tranny too. There were 2 models, a coupe and a sedan and very sight tranny gear differencials. I had a coupe but got a sedan tranny and mileage got better and smoother shifting, with out too much loss in power.

Thank you all for your replies! Here’s what I was told by the shop. First they said they could find me a used tranny, not a rebuilt one, for $1300. So, no warranty. They also told me that to rebuild my existing tranny, I’m looking at around $2500. Things seemed pretty dire. Later on, he called me and said that he was able to get his hands on a rebuilt tranny from a place that they’ve bought hundreds of trannies from before for $1650, and it would come with the 3 year/36K warranty. He said every tranny they’ve received from this place has been in perfect condition and have never come back with problems.

The place I’m taking it to has been good to my co-workers, who have all taken their cars there too. Because of where I work and because it’s a small town, I’m inclined to think this guy would not screw me over. And now that I know that this is a good deal, based on what you all have said, I’m inclined to think that he’s not trying to pull a fast one on me. His wife sort of works for us too, so I don’t know why he’d pull some crap and think he’d get away with it.

So … still a good idea to replace it with the rebuilt one for $1650, yes? My sister said to me today that putting a new transmission in it is like giving yourself a new car. Not sure if I totally believe that, but as long as it runs for a long time, I’m happy.

Your doing good but your getting near the edge,new transmissin does not equal new car. Come down to Earth and realise any other system could fail 2 hrs after you pay for and pick up your Civic with the rebuilt transmission.

We are talking 235K miles here,you will still need maintiance and who knows what repairs will pop up? If you make another 50K you will be doing fine.

Right, as I said, I didn’t really believe that. But knowing my car, and how little I’ve had to do to keep it running, my guess is that it will run for another 50K and probably more. I do realize other systems could fail at any given time, but I’m willing to risk that. I have to risk that, because I have no other choice.

Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate the input.

$1650 is a good price to change it out. I would do this and take the chance on it.

If likely last the life of the car(ie limited) however even if one year you just purchased a beater you know well for $1650.

Yes, that’s exactly how I like to think of it! I know this car better than anyone, and I am happy to purchase it for $1650. :slight_smile: