Removing front license plate

I just removed my front license plate from my car and filled in the holes with Bumper Plugs.
It worked really well. In fact, the process was effortless.
What I did not anticipate is seeing faint lines on the paint, in the shape of the license plate holder I removed.
Is there any product or household remedy I can use to to try and remove those lines?
Love this Car Talk community.
Thank you for any help you can provide.

I am guessing you tried soap and water already. so, you can try car polish. if that does not get it off you can try polishing compound.

1 Like

I assume this is from the sun fading the exposed parts of the bumper. If so, I can’t think of any way you can easily address this.

2 Likes

You can try rubbing compound to try and polish the area, but if the clear is damaged, you would just need to spray on a new coat of clear.

I had the same problem in the 70s when I had to have a magnetic sign on my door. Never could fix it without repainting.

2 Likes

Remember car bras? Supposed to protect the paint from rock chips and bugs but they just end up scratching the heck out of it.

1 Like

To piggyback on what Mustangman said, I suspect the clear coat is damaged.
If the above suggestions concerning rubbing compound and polish do not work, wet sanding with 2000 grit might.
If clear coat is scratched down to the base color coat as Bing said, spraying with new clear coat will be needed.

2 Likes

I understand the motivation, aesthetics of front plate just don’t look good. But one caution, in some states – my area of Calif for example – this makes you vulnerable to being stopped, possibly your person and vehicle searched, dui-tested, and best-case, issued a missing-license plate ticket.

3 Likes

I think this person just removed the front plate holder . I would hope he is not dumb enough to actually remove the front license plate if his state requires one .

1 Like

You’re correct. Just the empty holder as I live in a state that doesn’t require front license plate.

1 Like

This worked pretty well. It made it so it’s barely noticeable. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

Were available for many makes and models. I may have seen a Firebird with a bra, not a great idea on a car with pop up headlights.

1 Like

In my state, New Jersey, a front plate is required. I was at a dealer and the two sales people both said they do not put on the front plate, but keep it in the car. They say they have never been stopped for this, which I do not understand. I also generally do not think the front plate is such an esthetic problem that I would risk a stop and ticket by having none on the car.

It’s required in Minnesota. I think the kits are in the trunk when the car is delivered but the bracket has always been installed by the dealer. They like to put their own name plates on for advertising until the real plates come in.

Usually the girl at the desk just hands over the plates but I had one that insisted on putting the stickers on. I like to have them straight and in proper alignment so I was a little concerned letting her do it. She did a good job though. I don’t stack stickers either for year changes. I scrape the old one off and start fresh. Yeah I know but some people just slap them on any old way. Take some pride.

Ok, I admit I’m a major offender on this topic. One time I put the yearly update sticker on the wrong side of the plate, so the yearly update sticker was over the month sticker … lol … A policeman must have noticed at some point b/c I received a new month sticker with the next yearly update sticker, and instructions where they go.