Remanufactured transmission replacement

I have a 1999 Jeep wrangler automatic. A month ago, I had a check engine light and took the truck to the dealer. I was told that they had to replace the solenoid at a cost of more than $670 dollars. After a total of 40 miles ride, the car lost the entire transmission fluid content, to which the Jeep dealer informed me that this was caused by a pump leaking and the torque converter to be replaced at a cost of more than $2200.00 dollars, two days later they called me to inform me that since the transmission is on the bench it would be best to rebuild it, to which I agreed. They called me one day later to inform me that there are so many parts to replace that it would be best to install a genuine Chrysler remanufactured engine, to which I agreed. They call me to let me know it will cost $4,400.00 dollars; at this point, I decline to proceed with the installation. Later, the service manager called me to let me know that they would recuce the cost by 10%, to which I again disagreed. They finally decided to do the work for $3,780.00. I picked up the truck, drove it for 5 miles and it would not shift past 30 miles an hour. I returned the truck to the dealer and the manager said to me: “Good that this thing happen now, this is a good opportunity for us to use the warranty.” It has been more than three weeks since they have been working on the Jeep (No feedback Yet) and they do not seem to know what they are doing. My question is: Can you refer me to a competent Jeep mechanic in the Albany, NY area?

Any help would be appreciated.

I certainly do not want to have anything to do with this Chrysler|Jeep dealer ever again!!!

It is tough trying to read all that text when you don’t use paragraphs. My old eyes have a Hard time with it.

[i] I certainly do not want to have anything to do with this Chrysler|Jeep dealer ever again[/i]

I would take it a steep further.  Avoid all dealers for service other than something covered under the new car warranty.  

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

I would suggest checking around with your friends family, neighbors, co-workers etc. and look for a new INDEPENDENT transmission shop. Do not go to a transmission chain BTW I would look for a transmission shop not a Ford specific shop.

Take it up with Ford. Sometimes the manufacturer will help you out and make sure the dealer is not only doing it right, but you might end up with a break on the cost. It is worth a few phone calls.

Your first mistake was taking a 99 to the dealer. The second was not walking at $670 repair.

At best, the dealer originally mis-diagnosed the problem, costing you $650 on a repair you didn’t need. At worst, they botched the repair and the subsequent breakdown is their fault. I don’t know how you’re going to get ultimate satisfaction out of this mess. If they will release the parts to you, maybe you could have them examined by an independent shop to build a case for suing the dealership.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate your input.

Car owners need to realize that today, when the engine or transmission fail, it usually totals the vehicle and it’s best just to move on…With AWD / 4wd vehicles, this is even MORE true…Repair costs have skyrocketed and the skill level of the mechanics has plummeted…Today’s vehicles are disposable consumer products that were never designed to be rebuilt…

That’s a cheery thought to end my day.