Reliability

I am looking to purchase a used 2000 or 1999 v70.

Has anyone had any experience with either year?

Not a good idea according to many of these owners:

Use that Edmunds site to find a different make/model car that does not have a substantial percentage of owners complaining what an unreliable, expensive money pit their used Volvo is…

The V-70 reliability was above average. The year you want to buy is just too old and it can’t be rated. Parts are probably expensive and it gets lousy fuel economy. The chief thing to remember about VOLVO: Very Overpriced, Laughably Very Overpriced. I just made that up and it is not funny.

…VOLVO: Very Overpriced, Laughably Very Overpriced. I just made that up and it is not funny.

But, oh, so true.

If you have a few grand you can throw at it each year for things going wrong with it, then yeah, go ahead and buy one. If you only have a few grand to spend on a car, then look for something more reliable/cheaper to fix like a Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala, Chevy Malibu or anything that’s not European brand

I thought it was funny.

You are looking at perhaps the most expensive car to repair, and it needs frequent repairs. I owned a '98 V70XC and it cost over $2,000 a year for repairs. A new fuel pump is $1,000 for the part! Motor and transmission mounts fail often, turbo seals, yadda yadda.

The body and seats will look and feel great, but it is a costly nightmare to repair this car. Run away and don’t look back.