Volvo 2001 xc70

I am considering purchasing a used Volvo with 67,000mi and have done some internet research that there is a real scary etm problem where the car is tooling along on the hwy and it just dies, no warning. It sounds like the repair is $1200 and that doesn’t always seem to solve the problem. I really like the station wagon, but I don’t think this is worth the risk if all this is true. Was this only a problem for the 1999, 2000,2001? Or is this a continuing problem with the 03, and up?

I See There’s A Recall On Some 99-02 C70s For Reprogramming So They Don’t Slip Into A Limp-Home Mode.

If you are OK with about $2,000 to 3,000 a year in repair bills (not including tires, and oil changes) then buy the Volvo. Locate a good independent shop that knows Volvo you’ll get to know them well.

My suggestion if you like the Volvo you may be able to acquire a 2005+ Outback or Legacy wagon for the same price if that model appeals. They are quite reliable in 2005-present and offer equal safety without Volvo repair prices.

Agree; even good Volvos cost an arm and a leg to keep going. Buy the Subaru or a Honda or Toyota product instead!