Relatively high RPMs when accelerating with sluggish acceleration (Manual trans)2004 Hyundai Elantra

Hi,
I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra (stick shift) with about 104k on it. Was running absolutely great till about a month ago when I noticed that it was beginning to accelerate quite slowly. If I pushed it and got the RPMs up really high it would still pick up, but still not great performance. Also after pushing it a little hard there was a faint burning or smoke smell. Note, once it is up to speed say 60 or 70 it has no trouble maintaining such speeds. It just takes a while getting up to them. And if I really need to step on it the RPMs sky rocket with no real immediate increase in speed. Anyone have any ideas?! Any and all would be appreciated.

Given the classic symptoms (high RPMs/poor acceleration, a burning smell), this is almost surely a case of a badly-slipping, worn-out clutch.

I strongly suggest that you get the car to a mechanic a.s.a.p., before you turn a straightforward clutch replacement into a much more expensive and extensive repair job.

Could that be in anyway related to my clutch master cylinder going out a couple months ago? I replaced it myself and everything seemed to be fine.
Thanks!

It’s possible there’s some adjustment that needed to be done when the master cylinder was replaced.
It’s a good idea to replace the slave too.
Still need to take it to a mechanic.

Yep, you should have adjusted the slave cylinder , When you were pushing the engine to high RPM and was gaining speed slowly, you were burning the clutch. Peobably too late now.

Hi,
I have an 04 elantra gt 5 speed. Is the clutch pedal high? Also there is no adjustment on the elantra slave cylinder. Get this to a garage asap have it checked.