Recycled power steering fluid reservoirs

I have a 1997 Toyota Camry that needs a new power steering fluid reservoir. My concern about getting one from a salvage yard (as opposed to paying much for a new replacement) is the age of the molded plastic. Will a used reservoir be much susceptible to a near-term crack, etc., if it is already 18 years old? Should I got with a newly manufactured replacement instead of going with a salvage item?

as plastics go…I’d buy a new one

I have a 79 in my driveway and ALL of its issues are age related.

I agree with @ken green, buy a new one. Use Rockauto or Ebay Motors to find the lowest price. It isn’t worth the hassle of finding one at the wrecking yard that isn’t already cracked due to age.

I would get a new part. Things get it to old. Triedaq’s problems are age related like leaving his computer unattended.
Mrs. Triedaq

Just squeeze the used reservoir from the salvage yard. If it doesn’t crack it’s good enough.

Tester

I wouldn’t be surprised if a new reservoir is dealer only, and maybe $50. And the dealer almost certainly won’t have it in stock. Might have to order it and wait a few days

A used one is probably less than $10, and there’s lots of old Camrys in the junkyards

I wouldn’t hesitate to use a salvage yard part as long as; I could check it out and it seemed in reasonable shape, the cost/availability of a new part was less attractive.

Something to consider- I doubt they are making new parts for something this old. Any separate reservoir was probably molded many years ago and placed into inventory.

Maybe I’m wrong but my experience has been that reservoirs that are attached to the pump are not normally sold separately. Often, you can by a new pump with, or without, the reservoir attached. There’s often a core charge too. Unless your pump is bad, I’d buy a junkyard part if the price was right…

Curious, what happened to the old part that it needs to be replaced?

If it’s anything like the Toyotas I know, the reservoir is not directly attached to the pump. It’s a remote reservoir, attached to the pump with a hose.

It’s also entirely possible that you can use a reservoir from countless different years and models, many much newer. Any boneyard will have that cross reference information.

I’m with Tester on this. Many plastics will last indefinitely, especially if they’re protected from UV rays, and it’s easy to test. It won’t be under pressure, so why not? Remember that there’s no rubber in the reservoir material. It doesn’t deteriorate like rubber does.

You’re right db4690 I just checked and it is a separate reservoir for the Camry. Yikes! new ones are very expensive…that would be it for me, off to the junkyard!!

There is a used one on E-Bay for $27. Rock Auto doesn’t even list them.

Db, TT, you guys have compelled me to look up the cost… oh my God!!
For me it’d definitely be a boneyard replacement.

Since you guys have already looked up the cost . . . how much is it?

It hovers around two bills. A lot of cash for a plastic bottle with a couple of plastic spouts.

That’s outrageous

Yup.

Is Toyota farming out PS fluid resevoir construction to Mercedes or BMW? The pull a part here gets 5 bucks for them.

If worse came to worse/worse came to worst (depending upon your preference…) I’d adapt something on there before even considering 200 bucks; maybe even a 1/2 gallon milk container.

At least with Jesse James a mask and firearm is expected…