Recall information

I have a 2010 Cobalt with a fuel leak near the rear drivers side wheel. NHTSA informed GM in July 2020 that they were investigating this problem because they had 208 complaints of this problem at the time the complaint was registered with GM. the fuel leak is from corrosion of the fuel line, which is inches away and offset but above the muffler. No fires reported yet.

My question is whether anyone knows how long these investigations typically take? I already know that significantly older cars are involved in recent recalls (e.g. Takata air bag igniters). If it isn’t more than a month or two, I’ll hold onto the car. Otherwise, I’ll sell it soon. I know that no one knows how long the process takes, I’m hoping for an educated guess. It took a couple months for the Bolt power plant battery from the investigation start to the recall, and my guess is that if there is a recall, it should be soon. Anyone have an idea?

Even if you’re keeping the car for a limited amount of time, a fuel leak is a significant safety hazard.
If you have this repaired by your regular mechanic, and GM later issues a recall, you can be refunded the money that you spent for that repair–even if you no longer own the car–as long as you can provide documentation.

Get it repaired, save the repair invoice, and then decide whether you want to hold onto this car.
If you sell it before it is repaired, you MUST disclose this problem to the buyer.

3 Likes

FYI, I had the fuel lines earlier this year on my 2010 Cobalt. My mechanic installed the OEM one piece lines. It was 4 hours of labor for a total cost of $550 to 600. Of course I misplaced the receipt but as it was the first significant repair since I bought the car new I can’t complain too much.

Ed B.

1 Like

Thanks, guys. I know all that already, including the approximate $600 for the work. I’m likely to sell it to CarMax or a similar place. The car is parked, and isn’t moving except to get the repairs should I decide to fix it. I’m still interested in any general information about how recalls progress. I’m inclined to not pay for it if I sell to CarMax. I’ll hold on a while longer.

Might as well fix it if it needs fixing and drive on. $600 is small change when looking at a replacement vehicle.

Why not just fix it anyway even if you are going to sell it. That way the next owner won’t see the car and maybe him/herself and kids go up in a ball of fire. Heck of a way to discover a problem with a leaky fuel line above the exhaust.

I’m going to sell it to a dealer like CarMax, not a private party. I feel no obligation to tell them. They undoubtedly will notice it when they park it after the test drive or when they put it on a lift for inspection. Part of the problem is Mrs JT is extremely frugal. She squeezes cash so hard that when she enters the room, all the dead presidents run out screaming. And I have to convince her.

1 Like