Rear ended someone, fender rubbing against tire. Repair estimate?

Any ideas on how much it could cost to pull the fender forward so it’s not against the tire?

Photos here: Car damage - Album on Imgur

Welcome to the forum…

We are not a body shop forum and no way of tell the real extent of the damage…
Your best bet would be to take it to a body shop, your insurance company/agent can help you find one…

But, how good are you with a come along and a really big tree???

Possible your spare tire is a little smaller, you could check it’s size against the one rubbing and use it if smaller temporally (as long as you don’t have a full time 4WD) until you get the damage repaired… If you don’t know how to put the spare on then it is probably best to have the vehicle towed to a professional and have them do all the repairs…

1 Like

Your bumper is rubbing. Fender is not issue. I like the chain attached to tree method. I can’t even see a scuff on bumper. What did you hit?

Rear ended someone

I would guess another car was rearended at slow speed

That’s the bumper fascia, not the fender. You could unbolt and remove the fascia temporarily and that would make it drivable. As @davesmopar said, there is no way to know the extent of the damage without inspection and the fascia has to come off for that anyway. My guess is the collapsible pistons on the bumper are collapsed and need to replaced at a minimum. If that is the case and there is no more damage, then you could just remount the bumper fascia and drive on. It’ll look bad, but maybe the money is more important to you.

1 Like

Rear ended someone, well unless this was a hit and run or your family member or close friend, I am going to say your ins is already involved… Let them handle it…

I see the recovery tow hook in pic. Hook up a chain. Back up. Thump.

Could that actually work to pull the bumper forward? I assumed the hook is attached to a stronger part of the car

1 Like

Take something like a 2 x 4, and place it between the tire and the bumper.

Pry the 2 x 4 forward until the bumper is pulled off the tire.

Tester

2 Likes

The 2x4 leveraged against tire might work. Or, remove tire, whack edge of bumper with sledgehammer.

I think a body shop worker would bend your bumper forward for less than $100 cash.

The tow hook is attached to the frame, that can’t be used to straighten the bumper.

1 Like

Like @Tester wrote, use a 2X4, Turn the steering wheel to the right enough to get a LONG 2X4 (even a 2X6) between the tire and the bumper and pull it towards the front of the vehicle. You might even invite a friend or two over for a beer and to help (or laugh) at your predicament… But don’t give them the beer until the bumper is straight…

Good Luck…

tenor (1)

I agree with Jt and tester. The bumper cover is plastic. Likely the metal bumper trim is fairly thin metal but maybe not. At any rate the whole thing is connected to a couple of shock absorber type devices, and it may be that one is still collapsed and can be extended again using the 2x4 method to pry it out without further damaging the bumper. Can’t really tell from the picture if the fender is also bent in which would be a complicating factor. Of course the best would be to remove the bumper and check/repair what the bumper is attached to. They are designed to absorb Impact and that’s what it did. Removing the bumper is fairly easy for anyone with skills.

Pretty sure this is all just bolted together, no shock absorbers. Here’s how it comes off, should give the OP some ideas on what’s bent and where to push:
How to Replace the Front Bumper on Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado 1999 - 2006 - Bing video

Does the average person keep beer and lumber at home? Note the OP’s name.

That is a Chevrolet truck with a chrome bumper.

Full size cars in the late 1970’s had impact absorbers, trucks do not. The bumper is attached to the frame with steel brackets.

2 Likes

If she is not able to move the bumper herself she needs to either get a friend to help get the bumper off the tire enough to drive it to a body shop or have it towed to a shop. She shouldn’t drive it like this.

I stand corrected. Refund is in the mail.

I don’t care about the beer but everyone should have a 2x4 or two laying around as standard equipment. Never know when they will come in handy, especially if you drive a truck.

That is an odd thing to find in an apartment, more likely to find beer.

2 Likes

OP is just asking how much the needed repair will cost, not how to do it. But the ideas presented above for how to do it are also interesting, and might prove helpful to someone searching the forum posts who has similar problem and also has a 2x4 laying around.

As far as how much it will cost, depends on how much perfection is required, but I’d guess less than $500.