Re-calibrate the e-gas (accelerator) pedal

I have read in a few on-line “enthusiast” sites that a process does exist to re-calibrate, and that it makes for easier starting and smoother running engines. Here it is: 1. Turn the key to “on” (do not start) 2. Slowly push the pedal to the floor and then let it back up. 3. Turn the key to “off”. 4. Now the accelerator pedal has been “re-calibrated”, and the engine is ready to run. Is this an “authentic” process known to all OEM tech’s (but a big secret from the rest of us?) Does anyone know if this is a recommended procedure that really works? (I have tried it a few times, and it does seem to be helpful, but it could be just “wishful thinking”

sounds like wishful thinking to me. It certainly wouldn’t work on a car without a drive-by-wire throttle.

I don’t know, but it sounds fishy to me.

Not a clue but on my Olds they had a couple mighty strange procedures for various recalibrations. Things like key off key on three times, push gas pedal down until light blinks etc. Can’t remember now and not going to look it up, but with computers now they can build in any sequence of events to trigger a computer process. They just have to make sure its not something that would be done by accident. You’d need the factory service manual though to look it up.

Sounds like an urban legend.

In any case, every manufacturer has their own method of relearning the throttle.
In some cases you need a scan tool.

One thing I’ll say: There’s no one single method. Whoever told you that probably believes all the conspiracy theories.

I have heard this too. I tried it on my 2006 Chrysler with “drive by wire” The strange thing is, after I do it, it DOES seem to affect the responsiveness of the accelerator somewhat. Whether it is the placebo effect I cannot say for sure, and the web is full of people that believe either way.

The electronic throttle is supposed to at least somewhat recalibrate itself every time you start the car–at least it would have to “zero” itself to the position the pedal is in at rest. There are also at least two electronic devices (potentiometers) measuring the pedal position at any given moment, and they have to agree or the system throws an error and stops working. This prevents “unintentional acceleration” events. If they disagree somewhat at startup on their initial position “at rest” (which they would almost have to in the real world), this would also have to be learned by the controller.

Is it possible that the simple procedure detailed in the start of this post can “recalibrate” the throttle, either by design or a side effect? Sure, there’s no reason it couldn’t be designed this way, or maybe it just causes the system to do some accelerated (no pun intended) re-learning of the characteristics of the system, the same as would be learned while driving and normal use of the pedal, only faster. I guess we’ll never really know for sure unless one of the software engineers that worked on these systems comes on here and tells us.

My 03 vue with 3.0 motor has elec throttle. Am getting code for funky throttle in subzero temps. Garage says a TB cleaning may help but u need to possibly do a throttle relearn which I am not sure I can do.