Gas pedal does nothing

Hello! So, something odd happened to me today while driving. I was getting off a highway after about 250 miles of driving, downshifted from 5th to 4th, and when I hit the gas pedal after shifting, nothing. No acceleration. I shift back to 5th. Still nothing. Try revving in neutral, also nothing. I come to a stop on the exit ramp and try to start the car up. It starts up, hits about 1k rpm and stalls. Gas pedal does nothing still.

What’s up with this? I had it towed to my shop but I’m just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Couple tidbits of info: just had the oil changed three days ago. Checked the oil and it seems fine. I have an aftermarket he’s unit in the car and lately, it’s been a little wonky. When I put use my automatic windows, sometimes the volume will mute for a sec.

My car is a 2006 Mazda Miata base model. 5 speed manual. Power windows but not locks. No traction control. No cruise control. 40,000 miles. Oil changed regularly with full synthetic.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jordan.

This car still has a throttle cable or is it electronic?

Remco has a very good point is the check engane light on?

I will be watching this thread to see how it turns out. My car did the same thing the other night on the way home. 2004 325 BMW, drive-by-wire throttle. It rolled to a stop on the side of the highway. It would idle (very rough) but there was zero response to pressing the throttle.

After riding home on the back of a truck, the next morning it would respond to the throttle but it ran terrible. I disconnected the mass airflow sensor - no change. I inspected the air tunnel and looked for vacuum leaks with a can of ether, nothing. I replaced the spark plugs and it ran a bit better (fresh plugs will hide a lot of sins). By this time, it was driveable, thought clearly not right, so I started driving it to work again. It took a couple of weeks to get back to nearly normal, though acceleration is still not completely smooth.

Please post back what you find with your Miata. Whatever is wrong with the car is interfering with the computer code that controls the drive-by-wire throttle. Question is - what is wrong?

The throttle pedal, if drive-by-wire, i usually a simple hall effect sensor. Check the connections if you can get at them.

The throttle control on my Matrix is a dual potentiometer.
They have to be within a certain range (not fully on or off) and they have to agree with each other within a tight tolerance.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. It turned out to be the fuel pump.