UPDATE: Re-calibrate the e-gas (accelerator) pedal (Original post on 1/22/13)

Have been experimenting by using this “re-calibration” procedure for the last 2-3 weeks with my 2006 Fusion [3.0L V6 with 55K mi.]. It has been cold around here. Most days the “high” has been in the 20’s, and the overnight lows in the low teen’s. Previously, when the temperature dropped even slightly below freezing, it was difficult to start, with much cranking required (and usually needed 2-3 attempts to finally fire up). Since running this experiment these past 2-3 weeks, it has started “like new” every single morning!!! So, for now, the experiment is a success and I am a “believer”.

Thanks to those who provided opinion/advice in the original post. Thought you might like to know the results of this experiment. Time will tell if the “success” continues, and I would sure like to know more about this “re-calibration” procedure if anyone has tech details. Thanks again!

@davedawson Glad to hear the experiment was successful.

Was the check engine light ever on?
Was were any repairs performed before this problem started?
Did you clean the throttle body?
Did anybody ever connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail?

It may just be that you have a weak fuel pump or leaking injector and turning the ignition on, then off, then back on again during the “calibration” process increased the amount of fuel available at startup.

Too many variables…

Thanks for your interest - - - Never had a single problem with this Fusion until about Nov. when the temps dropped. No lights, no tests, no repairs, and it runs “like new”. Always have started it by switching to “on” and letting the fuel pump pressurize the rail before cranking it over ( it only takes about 2-3 seconds, and you can hear it). I am beginning to suspect that the Coolant Temp. Sensor is starting to fail, but it’s never put the check engine light on. Started this conversation to try to find out if there really was such a thing a this so-called “recalibration”, or if it was just another “BackYardMechanics” tale…still do not know, but since the “experiment” is working (so far) I will continue to use it until I can get some hard data on a cause. Thanks again for your opinions/advice.

Like I said, with computers, they can build in any sequence of events to trigger the computer to run a program.

Now lets get our definitions straight: 40 degrees is balmy, 50 is hot. 10 below is cold and 20 below is really cold. 32 degrees or freezing is just slightly below balmy. At least in Minnesota.