RAV 4 Support bar shows

Hi,

I just bought a 2007 RAV4, base model. I was so focused on how it drove, that I didn’t focus on other things – for example, the “support bars” that run the length of the car on either side. I think my missing seeing them was more of a “getting caught up in the moment” thing than neglect. I haven’t bought a car in 20 years, and it’s as though I could only handle so much. I’m not making excuses, just explaining in case you think, “Why bring it up now?” I’m surprised, too, that my eyes are now seeing them. Anyway, I’m surprised that it “shows” – is this normal?

I am not sure what you mean with “support bars”. Do they bother you? Are they broken? Dangerous? Or just a cosmetic detail that you missed?

In the topic of “missing stuff when test driving”: I think I have bought at least 10 cars in the last 8 years (I like to switch it up) and been on 50+ test drives. But no matter how often I do it - there is always stuff I miss. I believe there is a certain level of excitement associated with a test drive, there are many things to handle - not the least the current owner sitting next to you and chatting you up, paying attention to traffic, a lack of knowledge what to look for. So from my experience I have to say: With most cars that I have bought there was this moment when driving home from the previous owner or in the week afterwards that I discovered things that I had missed. It’s just part of the process, I guess. And it’s also the reason why they suggest that you have the car inspected by an independent mechanic before buying it.

You are going to have to come up with a better description than “support bars” if you want any really helpful responses. This non-automotive term does not really direct us to any particular part of the vehicle.

Where exactly are these “support bars”?

Thank you – you made my day when you said you “see” something afterward. The bars aren’t damaged, and I can’t say that they bother me. I looked at another RAV in the garage and noticed it had them, too. That RAV is black, mine is blue. I think they stand out more with mine because the bars are black. I had that “light bulb” moment you described in that, I just plain wasn’t looking there – during the test drive and initial walk around. I would describe them as metal bars that run along the underside of each side of the car. I’m guessing I noticed them because there’s a bit of clearance between them and the ground. If there was less clearance, I may not have noticed them. Thanks, again. Beachcomber.

Thank you. I’ll see if I can get the proper name. I noticed that my neighbor’s RAV has them, too, although they’re not as noticeable because his car is black; mine is blue; and the bars are black. I’ll let you know. Thanks, again. Beachcomber.