Scratches on back lit instrument panel 2013 CR-V

I have recently noticed that there are scratches on the backlit information panel of my 2013 CR-V. It’s almost as if chunks of the black “paint” are being rubbed off the backside around the 40 mph mark. While it doesn’t impact the vehicles performance it is an annoyance. A couple of questions: 1) if something is rubbing the back surface of the illuminated panel, do I need to get that checked out? (and will it ever work the same again?) and 2) is it even something that can be fixed?

While I admit it is simply an annoyance, I see it every time I look down to check my speed. Has anyone else had this experience, and what did you do? I suppose I could put a little sticker on the plexiglass so that I don’t see the scratch…that would be the answer from Tom and Ray!
THANKS!

Is this car is still under warranty? If so, bring it in.

^
Yup!
The car’s Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty covers essentially everything (except possibly “wear” items) for the specified time period, and a defect in the instrument cluster would definitely be covered.

Yes, take it in, but be prepared for the dealer to tell you they can not “reproduce” the problem or in this case they do not see it. So you have to walk around their lot and check similar model CRV’s and see if they have the same scratches and if not request them to fix it.

I sent the dealer 2 photos.They say it will be covered as long as they can be sure that no one caused the damage by trying to change light bulb, etc. I add water to the wiper reservoir and have had 3 oil changes yet they are assuming that I’ve done something wrong.

They aren’t assuming you did something wrong. They’re just saying if there is indication of any improper maintenance done in that area, then the repair to fix it wouldn’t be covered under the warranty.

Putting sophisticated electronic gadgets into cars creates a sort of tangled web. The propeller heads that come up with the high-tech ideas to replace ones that are tried and true but un-sexy don’t take fully into account the environment that electronics in cars have to endure.

“They say it will be covered as long as they can be sure that no one caused the damage by trying to change light bulb, etc. I add water to the wiper reservoir and have had 3 oil changes yet they are assuming that I’ve done something wrong.”

I respectfully submit that you are interpreting their statement incorrectly.
EVERY warranty–whether it is on a vehicle, or a washing machine, or a lawn mower–specifically excludes damage that resulted from owner negligence. If manufacturers were to repair/replace parts no matter what the cause of the problem, the added warranty costs would be passed on to the consumer, and–trust me–you wouldn’t like the cost of a car covered with a “no matter what” warranty.

If nobody was doing work inside the dashboard area of the car, then you have nothing to worry about.

And, I just have to add that, if you live in an area of the country that is subject to freezing temperatures, you shouldn’t be using water in the windshield washer reservoir.

;-))

I use water in the summer and blue antifreeze (is it alcohol based?) wiper fluid during winter. Luckily, I live in south Texas, the car is garaged, and pretty pampered, so lines aren’t freezing, but thanks for the reminder.

I’ve just gotten wronged in the past with car repairs…no one has messed with the dashboard, lights, etc. I’ve only had the oil changed. I’m always concerned when someone says, “I’ve never seen anything like this happen before”. I hope they’ll be honest. I paid out the whazoo for the extended warranty due to the high pressure warranty sales guy who nearly held me captive. That was the worst part about the sale…but I digress…

The problem is to the left and below the 0 mpg mark. Getting a bit larger every day.

Have you even read the extended warranty or called them?

Yes…sent them photos, etc. Can’t get in on a Saturday due to travel for a couple of weeks.

Took it in today. . Quick replacement. Film was coming off the back of the panel. No one had ever seen this before.

Thanks for the quick feedback. You may be helping others with the same problem.