Rattleling noise when accelerating

Hi, guys! A few months ago I noticed a rattleling noise coming under the hood when accelerating at low speeds. Today I took the time to pop up the hood and accelerate the car a few times and i can hear the noise. I also recorded a video because I’m not familiar with this noise and maybe one of you can point me to the right direction.

Here’s the video link: https://youtube.com/shorts/4sJPkNecsDM

Hyundai Elantra 2009 SE
170,000 miles

Thanks in advance.

You might be hearing timing chain rattle from a stretched timing chain and worn guides.

Tester

1 Like

Try to narrow down the source by listening around the engine compartment and the exhaust system (esp the heat shields) using a short length of garden hose as a stethoscope. Make sure all of the exhaust system pipe hangers are in good order.

I couldn’t hear anything too clearly in the video.

I’m pretty sure this car has a timing belt rather than a chain. I also think the change interval is something like 90K miles. So it should be almost at it’s 2nd belt change. And there is a tensioner in there, and idk for sure but it wouldn’t surprise me if it could get rattly.

1 Like

Tester

Hey guys! I changed the timing belt at 155,000 miles and installed a new timing belt tensioner. All by fallowing the torque spects.
An hour ago I removed the serpentine belt to check if the noise was coming from the idle pulley, but the noise continued. Its kind louder when I put my ear near the injectors, but surely its coming from inside the engine.

I’m presuming the engine configuration is a rubber timing belt from the crankshaft cog to one of camshaft cogs, and a timing chain sync’ing the two camshafts. Does that sound correct?

The cause could well be as speculated above, the chain linking the two camshafts. One easy check, ss the engine oil level correct? , and the oil appearing on the dipstick to be in good condition? Any indication of low oil pressure?

The chain that Tester is referring to is the intake and exhaust camshafts gear to gear timing chain under the valve cover… That chain can still make noise and has nothing to do with the timing belt as far as noise goes… That is how you have a DOHC with only one cam gear/pulley for the timing belt…

Tester

1 Like

If I decide to change the timing chain. How difficult could this be?

I’d guess it would take an experienced pro 3-4 hours. The parts cost depends on what exactly needs replacing.

1 Like