Railroad lights

Yes, a comprehensive claim might increase your rate, but maybe not as much as an at-fault accident would. Comprehensive claims include non-collision events like car theft, car vandalism, car fire, chipped/cracked windshield, hitting an animal, and acts of nature.

Some car insurance companies may increase your rate after a comprehensive claim. That’s because they consider you a higher risk to insure, as it can indicate you’re more likely to file future claims.

But from your posting, it sounds like you have not even looked at the damage or if there really is any damage…

And do not ask if your insurance will go up if you claim… We do not know you location, your insurance coverage, you driving history, your claim history, or even if your insurance agent and claims agent even like you, it really does make a difference…

As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, I filed a claim for damage to my car that was hit in a parking lot and the agent submitted it under the underinsured coverage endorsement which only had a $200 deductible verses the $500 deductible under my collision…

Call the insurance company three times, take 2 out 3 matching answers as a possibility.
I suspect insurance companies use a computer algorithm to calculate risk and insurance premiums. Should you trust someone who answers phones for a living to give correct answers about future insurance costs?

If you parked in a building, trees wouldn’t fall on your car, and this is an indication of higher risk.

You also drive on streets when school buses are unloading children, others are at work, not driving. Seems like that is an indication of greater risk. And you enjoy street racing: your insurance rates will be just fine.

I was parked when the tree branches fell on the car. I had just pulled in and getting ready to exit the car when the impact was felt.

Honestly, no — street racing is not something I do regularly. When I do it’s pretty rare. Let’s be honest, you floored that bad whip you got as your display image at least a couple times :wink:

You keep asking questions that can’t be answered here . You could get 300 replies saying your premium will go up or not and it will mean nothing . If you have an agent will an actual office that is where you will get the answer .

2 Likes

Well true. The other thing is agents dont make policy so you could be told one thing by the agent and six months later have the home office raise yours rates or cancel the policy.

Some years ago I had an extension garage door spring break and sail across the roof and hood of my one year old car before denting the back wall. Very dangerous as a side note. I never made a claim though and just fixed it myself. I’ve had hail damage and deer damage though and never lost my accident free discount.

1 Like

I investigated the car today and found several dents. A noticeable one on the edge of the car roof. Trunk with minor dents. Scratches.

The police came and gave me a report stating the car sustained minor damages. He also said he doesn’t feel it’s worth fixing.

I don’t understand why he would say it’s not worth fixing. These iimperfections make the car ugly.

Why did you call the police ? This is an insurance matter.

According to the police, the insurance company will need a report from them to go forward. So he wrote me a report to give to the insurance company.

Also, I was told the **town ** is responsible for the damages, so that’s why I unintentionally ended up talking with a police after I contacted the town. They said they would send someone over to investigate and that’s when two cops came.

You have the report and now you can give it to the town to deal with. The police officer’s comment might represent a conflict of interest and you shouldn’t take it too seriously.

1 Like

I’m presuming the tree that dropped the branches is owned by the town. Even then, I’m not sure that the town is liable for the damage. Is there evidence the town didn’t properly care for the tree?

I just came from the body shop. They quoted me $4,217.05 in damages.

What makes no sense to me is that the police came to write a report then telling me the town won’t take responsibility and for me to take it up with my insurance.

If the town has liability your insurer will make sure they pay for it. If it were my car and I wanted it fixed, I’d use insurance. I don’t know who your insurer is but for highly unusual events like this you might not face an insurance cost increase. Bing said his insurance was not increased because of similar events.

Why doesn’t that make sense? Do you mean that you think the town should pay the bill?

When I contacted the town because I was told they were responsible, they told me they would send someone out to investigate. They sent two cops.

So after I was given the report, I asked what should I do next, and the officers said to take it up with my insurance because the town won’t take responsibility for minor damages.

This where I’m confused.

Who told you that and why do they think that ?

I own a condo and reached out to HOA. HOA said the trees don’t belong to them; the town does, Abd they’re responsible. They then gave me the town contact info.

The town officials might argue that if they had to pay damages every time a limb fell on a car, they’d have no other choice than to remove all of the town-owned trees. This is opposite to what’s needed to combat global warming, and the town may have an anti-global warning policy.

We just keep going around in circles. Was the tree on a boulevard or something? Who owns it? Normally the city just has a right of way but doesn’t own it. Even so if a neighbors tree falls on you house, you are responsible not the neighbor. Unless the tree was rotten and not cared for, then they would be negligent. Unless you have more info, sounds like the damage is on you. But have a paintless dent repair shop look at it.

I have taken a few trees down and the result is a big thump when it hits the ground and can cause a lot of damage or kill someone. When you said tree, I did not visualize a branch. Big difference,

Trees are considered an important environmental resource, so they aren’t treated the same as like an abandoned pile of rocks. In this area if the tree is growing in the public right of way, the town has the right to claim it as their own. In most cases they do claim it, and then the town staff nails a sign on the tree saying they own it. If a resident trims off even a single limb off a city-owned tree , the resident should expect a huge fine. The resident is supposed to ask the city to trim the tree instead. The city staff then decides whether it needs trimming or not.

You can’t be serious .