Quote for PT which needs new timing belt and H2O pump

I drive a 2006 PT Cruiser with 110,000 miles (not a turbo, 2.4 L, 4 cylinder) which needs a new timing belt and water pump. My uncle, who is a car expert, said that it’s a $600 job, but the best quote I can get is $900. Is this a reasonable price for these repairs?

I recommend you write your uncle a check for $600 and have him replace the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, coolant, accessory belts, and have him warranty the job for 3 years or 36,000 miles. That’s a deal you find anywhere else.

Otherwise the $900 is in the ballpark.

Just a few years ago it was a $600 job. Prices these past few years have risen quickly. $900 is probably more common now.

I did my mothers PT CRuiser a couple of years ago and I think the kit with all the belts, idlers, tentioners, and water pump was over $350 alone.

I’d say that the $900 is a fair price.

Yosemite

With tongue in cheek, I’ll ask. What qualifies your uncle to be an expert?

The PT is a non- interference engine. With them I don’t replace them unless they break or the water pump leaks. I know I will be regaled with all the scenarios of being in a bad part of town, on a railroad tracks or in front of a speeding semi etc. but the likelihood is remote and the cost is high.

I believe that engine is a free-wheeler as far as valves to pistons are concerned but can suffer damage from valve to valve contact.