Question about replacing fuses

I agree with @Ken Green; it was not too long ago that there was a poster there that had an on going problem with fuses being blown.
They went on a trip away from home and the rear wiring harness melted and almost caused a fire.
Last we heard they were at a mechanic far from home and stranded until the car could be fixed.

Find out what is blowing the fuse and fix that first.

Yosemite

Thanks Mrs @Triedaq, that was the funniest thing I read today!

Umm - can I ask a dumb question? Which fuse is blowing? Just curious. Unless I missed it I don’t see it mentioned anywhere.

Sincere thanks to the Tridaqs for providing some badly needed humor in a sometimes difficult world.

To the OP: your owner’s manual should tell you what circuit that fuse serves. Can you look it up and let us know? That might help us to help you to prevent a recurrence.

If you lack the owner’s manual, can you photograph the fusebox, identify the blown fuse, and post the photo? We can try to track it down from there.

The reason I asked the OP which fuse was blown in my previous post was because he wanted to know if it was safe to drive it.
If it was something like the cigarette lighter fuse then no problem.
If it was something like the brake light fuse that would be a problem.

“If it was something like the brake light fuse that would be a problem.”

That is true.
However, the OP apparently doesn’t have any fuses on hand.
I think that–in this case–the OP may have no alternative to driving with a burned-out fuse, or with no fuse in place when he goes to get a replacement ATO fuse.

And, ever since our esteemed governor has decided to end the practice of safety inspections, I observe vehicles every day that have no brake lights, so in NJ, the absence of brake lights wouldn’t even be noteworthy–unfortunately. Thanks, Chris Christie!

Like said, there are always spare fuses in the fuse box. The owners manual tells you which ones are spares. Just match the color of the fuse with the old one.

“Like said, there are always spare fuses in the fuse box.”

That is certainly true with modern cars, but the fact that the OP’s car uses those archaic ATO-type fuses indicates that it is almost surely an old European car. My '74 Volvo utilized those same ATO-type fuses and the mfr did not provide any spares in the fuse box–or anywhere else in the car.

Luckily, I had a foreign car parts store about 1 block from my house, and I was able to get my replacement fuses there with just a brief walk. As you might guess, I left a LOT of money at that foreign car parts store when I owned my Volvo

VDC, I see vehicles often with burned out (or nonfunctioning) brake lights, and even a lot more serious problems, and we have state inspections. State inspections don’t prevent nonfunctioning brake lights, or even reduce accidents.

I’m not crazy about Chris Christie either, but he isn’t responsible for nonfunctioning brake lights.

If your blinker fluid leaks out and your turn signals no longer blink, do you say that “they’re on the blink?” Never mind, I’ll get my coat…

Don’t worry folks. My brake lights are functioning fine. It’s just the heat fan. Thanks for the help.