Question about replacing fuses

I found a blown fuse in my automobile. I will need to drive the car to pick up the replacement. Do I need to keep the blown fuse in the appropriate slot while driving to the parts store, or can I just toss it?

Save it for now, so that you can take the old fuse into the store to find the correct replacement

Don’t toss it!
Carry it into the parts store in order to ensure that you get the correct type of replacement fuse. There are several “styles” of fuses and w/o the old one for reference, you could buy the wrong type, even if it has the correct amperage rating.

Right, but do I need to keep the blown fuse in its slot in the fuse box or can I just hold onto it in my pocket?

Also, can I replace an ATO type fuse with an ATS type fuse as long as they are both the same amperage?

Thanks.

No, you cannot use an ATS-type fuse in place of an ATO-Type fuse, as their contacts are in different places and the fuses are totally different. If you are cursed with an older European car with ATO fuses, then ATO is what you need to get–although it might be hard to locate them in some stores.

No, you do not need to keep the blown fuse in place while you drive.
Just as a burned-out light bulb serves no useful purpose, neither does a burned-out fuse.
Carry it in your pocket–and pray that a store near you still carries ATO-type fuses.

A fuse is just a switch so once its off doesn’t matter if its in the circuit or not, its still off.

A blown fuse is the same as no fuse.

Another question you might ponder is why the fuse is blown…

@VDCdriver–“Just as a burned-out light bulb serves no useful purpose, neither does a burned-out fuse”. Shouldn’t you leave a burned-out bulb in the socket to keep the electricity from leaking out, or is that only necessary if the socket is pointed down?"
We don’t want the electricity leaking out from the hot side of the fuse line either, do we?

With that last post, I am logging Triedaq off this board for today to spare you all from any more comments like this.

Mrs. Triedaq

Keep’em com’in. We need more like that.

I thought that the blinker fluid would leak out, and you know what happens when that stuff gets on the paint!!! Or if the car is parked and someone walks by they could slip and fall…then there’d be a big lawsuit.

Yosemite

“If you are cursed with an older European car with ATO fuses…”

ATO are blade-type, ATS are the European end-contact type:

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/automotive-aftermarket-products/specialty-items/ats.aspx

Yeah I think the weather has had an impact on my brain too. I’m just not ready for winter again.

My car fuse box has a few extras in it. You might check your owners manual against the fuses in the box to see if you have spares too.

Perhaps I have a misunderstanding as to what ATS and ATO fuses are:

Are these two substitutable (if they were the same amperage)?

http://assets.bluesea.com/images/products/5243.jpg

https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/640x480/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/s/t/standard_blade_fuse_30_amp__14985.jpg

“Shouldn’t you leave a burned-out bulb in the socket to keep the electricity from leaking out, or is that only necessary if the socket is pointed down?”

Socket electricity leaks are difficult to clean up no matter where the socket is pointing. That type of leak should be prevented at all cost. I always keep a socket wrench available to deal with that sort of problem.

Neither of those are ATS:

If they are the same dimensions, they’ll fit in the same slot.

Perhaps instead of ATS you meant ATC which is a closed version of the ATO (open) fuse. Either one will work, I’m guessing the ATC being closed reduces the risk of spark/explosion in an environment with gasoline vapors.

but again…and only mentioned once so far…WHY is the fuse blown ?
A blown fuse is merely a symptom.

a problem existed…or still exists…that blew the fuse.
find that out or you’ll see the replacement fuse blow instantly if the problem still exists.