Q: Who isn't required to have a Driver's License?

Might be why my computer insisted on a re-start to download updates.

Mine did, too, the other day. It’s a nuisance because you can’t use it while it’s updating, and it took a while. Now I’m glad I did it.

What wasn’t in that article is the fact that the operating systems attacked were at least 10 years old.

And as an engineer who’s dealt with system security for decades
I can assure you that most of those people who were hacked didn’t take proper protections. My company has many windows operating systems installed around the world and some in the middle east where they are attacked over 1 million times a year and NOT ONCE have they been hacked.

When was the last time you updated your system. What OS are you running and what version? Are you running anti-virus software?

Good luck if you’re not.

I mentioned prior in this thread that there is some kind of loophole in Calif law which makes it possible to drive with no license plates displayed at all. It’s a very common thing to see cars without plate driving down the road. The police don’t question this at all apparently. I got to thinking about it yesterday when I heard a story on the radio that some bad-boy punks had robbed a Costco store in the area. A grab and run special. They got into a getaway car parked outside. Witnesses said it was a Toyota Camry and displayed no license plates.

I think you’re making too much of it, personally

For the most parts, cars driving with no plates are presumed to have recently been bought from a dealer, either new or used. And they’re still waiting to be issued their plates

And I also know people who buy a new car, but when their plates arrive, they’re too vain to mount them. They figure as long as they drive around with no plates, people will still think it’s a new car :wink:

I don’t think anyone would mistake what I drive for a new car, plates or no.

Bank robbers
 they never get convicted of driving without a license.

Hear in NY, dealers have plates on hand to issue if you need them or if you are trading in an old car they can transfer your plates.

It is never legal to drive without plates here on a public road.

We have temporary license plates in my state, A paper product I believe.

Yup!
NJ, as well as neighboring states, all have temporary “plates” made from some sort of paper-like material. It doesn’t dissolve when it rains, so I assume that it is treated with some waterproofing.

Most states do. NH and MA drivers LOVE their vanity plates. When you get new plates if you want a vanity plate they’ll issue you a temp paper plate until the vanity plate comes in. The reason for the temp plates is to transport the car. I’ve bought several cars in MA, so the dealer issued me a temp plate so I could drive it to NH and register it here.

NY also has the temp paper plates. My brother lives in CT about 2 miles from the NY border, and he’s bought more then one vehicle in NY. Again the dealer issued a temp paper plate so he could drive back to CT and register it there.

Yeah in Minnesota it’s a window sticker for 21 days until the dealer gets your plates.

When I lived in Colorado you had to have some version of a license plate displayed at all times. If not the standard metal ones bolted on, then a temporary paper version pasted to the inside of the back window. Even new cars still owned by the dealership, on the road for a test drive, were plated. A car on the road with no plates at all would get pulled over at first opportunity.

That is what we have. They are normally taped inside the rear window.

200lbs but only 6 inches tall? Dang

:wink:

Here’s something (potentially) interesting. I read an article in the local Palo Alto newspaper the other day about the license plate topic. A woman got a ticket b/c her car’s license plate paint was peeling off. She complained that wasn’t her fault, that was the DMV’s fault. After all they make the plates. But she still got the $25 ticket for the plate not being clearly visible. And she had to pay at $20 for new plates above that.

So her husband is up in arms, contacting the politicians for help, he wants to give the DMV a $25 fix-it ticket for poor quality control plates. It is sort of an outrageous thing to get a ticket for. The newspaper did a little investigation and seems to have discovered there’s a plan taking place now for the police to carefully patrol and ticket cars if their license plate is not clearly visible. The reason is the plate visibility has become important for automated toll bridge crossing payments, for red light and speeding cameras, and the police have some kind of system where as they drive around there’s a camera photographing everybody’s license plate, and that camera is hooked to a computer which decides if that license plate belongs to a currently registered car or not, or if it is associated with someone they want to arrest.

A temporary plate is still a plate although I was not aware that my state issued temporary plates. I wonder if they only issue them for cars to be registered out of state?

As far as the 6" h\tall and 299lb, well I was a fat kid, but not quite that fat :slight_smile: