Q: Who isn't required to have a Driver's License?

It’s funny how stuff can hide in plain sight. Happens to me all the time. Also, when you do find it, it’s always in the last place you look.

4 Likes

Anyone concealing the expiration date on their license plate is begging for an interview from the police. When I was a teenager I learned how to blend in with other motorist (the hard way) as to not be of interest to the police.

However, I think a lot of plate lights have two bulbs. So if you check it once in a while and change the bulb when one is burned out, it is unlikely to ever be totally out. At least mine have two bulbs. Try getting stopped for a flickering tail light-now that’s maddening.

The other thing is, usually the police will follow for a while for the purpose of picking a safe place to pull you over. When the red lights do go on, it should be a reasonable place to pull over. If not you have a legitimate gripe.

The last time I got pulled over, I kept driving until there was a place to pull over that was off the main street, the next side street and then stopped. As long as it doesn’t look like you are trying to run from the cops. I got a warning instead of a ticket that time, in the City of Lakeway, which has a “speed trap” reputation.

In some future date you may not need to carry your license.

Mobile driver’s license? I read the article. It talks about an APP. I see the photo of a phone.

I’d have to carry my phone? Great. Half the time it’s at home or in my golf bag in a locker at the golf course. And I don’t use APPS.

I don’t use a wallet, but I always have my driver’s license.

Enough with all this technology, please.
CSA

1 Like

You don’t have to have use the technology…keep your drivers license on you.

But please don’t try to block technology because you can’t/won’t adapt. The rest of us welcome and embrace technology.

1 Like

Technology? Around here there are too many dead spots to rely on mobile phones. Besides…

“Son, you probably know why I stopped you!”

“But, officer…”

“Let me see your operator’s license and registration certificate.”

(Officer squinting to read phone APP) “I need to get in some shade to see this dang thing.”

(Officer returning with phone) “Son, my big paws accidently hit your message button. You weren’t texting and driving now, were you son? It’s against the law. Don’t lie to me, boy!”

“I, I, , er…”

CSA

3 Likes

I’m amazed you’re still not using Horse and Buggy.

A local hardware store continues to stock buggy whip brackets. :smile:
CSA

I’ll just wait for the chip that gets implanted behind my ear. Then they’ll just scan me to see my license, deduct from my debit card, note my past behavior, and view my re-education camp history.

Bing, are you sure you don’t have one, already?
Lots of folks (on the Medicare Scammers’ scam list) don’t realize that the free hearing test, offering a ham or gift card, isn’t really about gifts, exams, or hearing aides. :wink:
CSA

More hackable information, convenience is great and so is the security risk.

This one only has one bulb, but that wasn’t the problem. Broken wire, renewed, license plate photonic again.

This story just in late this afternoon…

CSA

Yep hope you aren’t sick today in GB. I won’t hold anyone back if they want to use their smart phone to buy coffee or store their license. My high tech nephew though was rather upset when he lost his phone in the Gulf in Mexico. Everything in it was lost. I actually saw a guy at a rest area buying a cup of coffee with his phone. Me, I keep 20’s and higher in my billfold, ones, fives, and tens in my pocket on my money clip. So if I lose one, I’ve still got enough for a phone call and if I buy a cup of coffee, I never need to expose my money to by-standers. It’s worked for me for 50 years but I won’t hold anyone back as long as they are quick at the cash register when I’m behind them.

@common_sense_answer, the article says that most British hospitals still use Windows XP. I’m sure they could use a more modern operating system if they wanted to. Microsoft stopped supporting XP several years ago. Embracing modern technology may well have avoided having patient data held hostage.

I have xp computers still online, 2 of them are my workhorses, just because everything works and I know where all the buttons are, sure I have win 7 win 8 win 10 , server 2003 2008 2012 computers that I use, but I am also in charge of security for 70 computers. I have stuff pretty well locked down I believe, but it may have been a missed update or out of date software, but in my experience locking out the ability to install and run programs blocked by me would make even win 95 secure.
Nothing is 100% safe, and I cringe when I think of windows OS in a car. Virtualizing servers these days, but have had employee training sessions not to open suspicious emails, click on links in emails if not trusted, though today I got an email from a friends wife name spammed from at a .com unknown, opened it up on a test ubuntu computer just for kicks, link said one thing but was redirected to another site.

Now hear tell this in the news hack was actually developed by the NSA, so glad I only have one bank account for internet transactions that only has a few hundred dollars. Friend got hacked, bank accounts drained after a wedding where all the purses were locked up in a “secure” location, nothing missing but my thought a smartphone, take pics, get info, be really really careful!

Maybe but it sounded like ransomware enabled by NSA malware. I’m not sure Windows 10 would prevent the worm or not as it spreads across networks. Maybe I dunno. maybe MS is behind it to sell more software (no just kidding). The way I protect myself beyond the normal virus stuff is I simply copy files every two weeks and I have a copy of the initial install. If they ever block me, fine, go to h, I’ll just wipe the computer out and start over. Wouldn’t be the first time even to just throw a computer away and start over. Its a lot easier than purging files.

I think this cyber-hacking situation is going to get worse, before getting better.

I had forgotten that added Identity Restoration and Fraud Loss Coverage – State Farm®, a rider on my Home Owner’s policy, when it became available a few years ago.

Something the other day reminded me I had it and I reminded my wife so if/when we have our identity compromised, we can try the insurance. The insurance is supposed to help reimburse the expense of getting one’s identity restored.
CSA