Be careful

Shades of the "Minority Report " ,dont even think about speeding or running a red light in "Santa Cruz "police there are using a new computer program called "Predpol " to anticipate crime .( I assume that includes motor vehicles ) they say the arrests are up 50% and crime is down 20% ( does that math work ? )

According to the website it’s predicts CRIME…not traffic infractions. Which makes sense.

Also not too sure how accurate it is. Interesting to see how it works though.

Don’t even think about speeding or running a red light - seems like reasonable behavior no matter where you are computer program or not.

Oh heck ,I thought breaking the law was crime .

Oh heck ,I thought breaking the law was crime .

Actually NO. In most states traffic violations are NOT crimes, but traffic infractions. Otherwise you’d be able to all legal rights as someone who commits a crime…like trial by jury.

An infraction IS a crime. Just a lower level of a crime. If you fail to show up for court or to pay your fine, it gets elevated to a misdemeanor. If you still ignore it, a warrant gets issued for your arrest. And if caught, you go to jail.

I stand corrected…But back to the original post…Traffic crimes are NOT being tracked.

I agree. There would be no point in tracking traffic infractions.

Frankly, IMHO the only way to bring serious crime down is to get the serious criminals off the streets. Commit one violent crime, get a very long sentence to be fully served in a very harsh prison. Repeat and be removed from society for all time. Take a life in the commission of a crime and you should get one appeal, and if you lose it you should go straight to the gallows.

The Boston Police Commissioner once said in an interview “80% of our crime is committed by the same 300 people… and we know who they are”. This is unacceptable IMHO.

Software that tracks crimes does nothing to bring them down if the criminals are released back onto the streets over and over again. Unless the revolving door system is changed, and as long as the criminals have far more rights than the victims, the software will do no more good than an abacus.

The taxpayers don’t have to spend one dime to find out where most of the crime originates. It’s in the revolving door court system with DAs and judges dishing out suspended sentences and pleas to repeat offenders.

Last year in OK some punk was shot and killed by a homeowner while trying to steal the homeowner’s truck in broad daylight. The initial dustup from the punk’s family was more of the Black Lives Matter BS.
Given OK allows anyone to pull up court records I poked the dead guy’s name in and he was not only known to the court system but well known; and then some.

He had 53 (NOT a typo…) felony convictions over the last 15 or so years including burglary, drugs, armed robbery, 3 or 4 assaults on police officers, domestic violence a few times, drive-by shooting, half a dozen car theft convictions, and on and on.
Keep in mind that’s 53 convictions. There’s no telling how many crimes he got away with or how many were expunged when he was a minor.

The career criminal is right where he needs to be; 6 feet down. What should be done next is to toss the judges and DAs who kept allowing this guy to skate and take their cushy pension plans away from them also.

The career criminal is right where he needs to be; 6 feet down. What should be done next is to toss the judges and DAs who kept allowing this guy to skate and take their cushy pension plans away from them also.

Nah! Buzzards gotta eat same as worms.

Yeah, but why FEED the politicians?

Now that’s an insult to buzzards the world around!

Hello there - gentle reminder to please keep this on the topic of cars. Thank you.

he only stole 65 billion. Madoff’s projected release date is November 14, 2139. one son hung himself. wife divorced him. other son died from cancer. he has ESRD, apparently. lives in a 10 foot cage.

there but for the grace of god…

used to own some expensive cars, too!

“Hello there - gentle reminder to please keep this on the topic of cars. Thank you.” Sorry. I am a baaaad boy, Abotttt! I saw this reminder when it was too late and i’d already done the deed. I promise to do better. i hope

Maybe the cameras count the people on the street corner or something. In Minneapolis they have gun shot recorders. Fire a pistol and the police know where its coming from. Of course years on the force can predict ahead of time where those gun shots will be coming from ahead of time.

Watch out if going through Cedar Rapids, Iowa though with the speed cameras. Chatting with a lawyer yesterday with relatives there and he said when he got back from a visit he had 7 citations in the mail. Don’t know if he paid them all or not. I suggested paying three instead. And I think Sioux City too. It got so bad there with South Dakotans that SD would no longer provide Iowa with the owners of SD license plates in protest. Now that’s a government for the people. Of course Iowa sued.

Maybe there but by the grace of God but most of us don’t swindle millions from people. I heard he used to take his yacht to work on nice days. The only two things in life he loved was money and his wife. Could care less about his kids and clients. I think he has library duty now delivering books. He’s good with the dewey decimal system.

We all better get used to being tracked I guess. That’s just the way it is, given modern technology. Once you leave your house you’re in the public domain, and anybody or any gadget that sees or senses your presence is free to do pretty much whatever they like with the information. License plate scanners are a good example. In you live in an area where those are used whoever has access to that info has the ability to know where you go and how long you stay every single day of the week, 24 hours a day.

Well I’m not ready to yield so easily. Your car is an extension of your home. I’m also not ready to yield privacy in my back yard just because I’m outside my house and a drone with a camera can be flying over at 100 feet. And if that camera is peering through the open windows into the house? Yes, technology provides new possibilities but this is not China and we need to take a strong legal stand against spying whether its with a camera or peeking through windows. Yeah its a little complicated to sort out but like someone said on a different topic, “I’ll know it when I see it”.

I think I heard that New Hampshire made license plate scanners illegal. Bing, that’s the state for you!! :wink:

I think I heard that New Hampshire made license plate scanners illegal.
Pretty sure that's not true....License Plate scanners are in use at all EZPass lanes to catch lane jumpers.

A stink broke out in OK City a couple of years ago when the PD announced they had purchased 17 license plate scanners to be used on patrol cars.
This was supposedly to check for stolen cars but the problem is that it’s putting everyone into a data base and tagging each and every person with their location and time.

The PD claimed that they were “discussing” the length of time that information might remain in the log. At the current time I don’t know what their policy is and don’t care. I just don’t like being spied on by anyone.

The PD claims the main purpose is to nail stolen cars. What difference does it make? Whoever is caught in a stolen car is going to make bail, get a suspended, and continue to do the same thing.
A couple of years ago several guys were arrested for running a chop shop. They had been arrested twice before for the same thing and never served any jail time except for the initial arrest before bonding out.

Weighing the money they’re making on stripping cars against any fines and court costs I think they have the legal costs on the debit side of the ledger as simply a cost of doing business.