Q: Who isn't required to have a Driver's License?

As I recall, that Colt 45 was some kind of a malt liquor, and it tasted pretty rank :unamused:

I could leave my drivers license at home and it would make hardly any difference, I get pulled over so seldom. It’s been years since I’ve been stopped.
There’s been talk in the Texas legislature about going to virtual driver’s licenses that you can show the cop on your smart phone, just like your proof of insurance. I hope they still keep the paper license as an option for people like me who still use a dumb phone.

Didn’t Queen Elizabeth drive ambulances during the war?

I had a few 16oz Colt 45 pounders when I was younger and dumber. Not very good but 100 times better than my drinkin buddy’s Blitz.

I thought that too, then a couple of weeks ago out of the blue I got pulled over b/c the license plate light on my truck had burned out. The whole shooting match, driver’s license, proof of insurance, and registration. All while sitting on the side of the road in what might be the most dangerous place to sit by the side of the road in the entire SF Bay Area. For a burned out license plate bulb? When 10% of the cars going down the road don’t even have a license plate at all? I wasn’t a happy camper.

You can make that statement for 99.9999999% of all drivers in this country. The percentage of drivers getting pulled over is an extremely small percentage to the ones that don’t get pulled over.

That has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I have been stopped a few times over the years for a tag light not working.what I can not under stand is in the daytime you don’t need it & in the dark the cop’s head lights show the tag. My big complaint now is the ones with receiver hitches that put a carrier on & depending what is loaded on it covers the tag & some times the tail lights .turning lights.brake lights I have never seen any one pulled over for this.

1 Like

Pulling a trailer also covers the tag. What is the difference? In Oklahoma, you don’t tag or title a personal use trailer so there is no way that a cop behind you can get a tag number. Here in Oklahoma, we also do not have front plates.

I am in Ga. & here trailer’s are tagged & need light’s.

And that small percentage probably are pulled over multiple times.

Here we do not use tags and lights are only needed if the the lights are not visible on the towing vehicle.

My dad borrowed my small 4x6 utility trailer. The trailer has lights but his car did not have the wiring plug installed. The trailer was empty so his lights were visible. I inattentive driver rear ended him hitting the trailer. Minimal damage to the small trailer but did typical bumper & grill damage to the inattentive drivers car. He was steaming mad and called the cops and demanded that my dad get a ticket for no trailer lights. The cop told the guy that there is no requirement that the trailer have lights and wrote the inattentive driver a ticket.

Here the only trailer that can get by with no light’s is a tow dolley as long as it is not loaded.When it is loaded you need lights on whatever you are towing.

Everything needs lights in Minnesota, day and night. Trailers are also licensed but you can get a permanent license sticker for something like $20 instead of the $10 a year plate fee.

I’ve needed my license a number of times in the last six months. It’s just always in my billfold and I always have my billfold before I leave my bedroom. Been a habit since ten years old. You need a license to get on a plane, rent a car, buy certain items etc. Also I needed it when I was stopped for not making a complete stop at a stop sign at 10:00 at night with no one else around. Needed it too when the dufas backed into me in the drive-through lane. It’s just a good habit to get into.

I complained to the officer that stopped me for a burned out brake light. In MD, there are no second chances. You get a ticket that requires you to show up at a police station within two weeks of the sitation to prove that you fixed the problem or they will stop you from driving the car.

The policeman told me that the sitation system is a compromise. Several legislators wanted an annual safety inspection. The agreement was no safety inspection if the police would site drivers for unsafe conditions, like burned out bulbs. Maybe it’s the same in Cali.

I got pulled over once without my licence, had the license number memorized because in the old days you were asked for drivers license number when you wrote a check. I told the officer my license number and all was good. Our state trailers are not icensed.

Here in Ga.if you have a brake light out it, a warning the 1st time as it is hard to check the brake light’s your self ,but if the same officer cacthes you the next day it is a ticket.

In my case – burned out license plate bulb – the officer gave me a verbal warning and let me go, possibly b/c I was complaining the place he pulled me over wasn’t safe. Apparently the way it works in this area if they actually do write a “fix it” ticket, you go to any police station for verification the problem is corrected, and there’s a $25 fee. That’s $25 for each item, so if both plate bulbs, front and back, are burned out, and the rear license plate cover is hiding the renewal sticker, be prepared to pony up $75 for all that.

You have lighted front plates? California is weird.

3 Likes

You are right, only the back plate is lighted.

Was in a work van, picking up peeps at the airport, officer informs me one of my backup lights was not working, let it go but if it got noted again ticket.

Course there was always officer who ever, your tail light is out, so it was probable cause for a pull over and vehicle search. They even pulled apart my spare tire in the trunk for suspected marijuana.
Best overlook was a bud in a vw van, had a box in his rear seat labeled dope box, where he kept his illegal contraband. They looked high and low through the car and never opened the dope box.

Funny story. Reminds me of that EA Poe story, what was it called? The Purloined Letter I think. The letter they’re desperately looking for is not hidden at all, it’s in an obvious place a letter would be, but they search high and low and never find it.

Oh, speaking of that topic, starting this year it is legal here in Calif to grow MJ in your garden. But it is illegal to buy seeds. LOL