Puzzler: Hupmobile on back of $10 bill?

Heard this puzzler on recent podcast. Definitely a car there on older currency. But not seeing much in the way of verification that it’s a Hupmobile. Internet search says it’s a generic car, not intended to be a specific make/model. Is it really a Hupmobile? I have no idea, b/c don’t know what a Hubmobile looks like. Ray said a former POTUS drove a Hupmobile. Wilson I think.

IIRC, it looked something like this Hupmobile. But, then again, most cars in the '30s looked pretty similar.

Hup’s last hurrah was for the 1940-41 model year, when they and Graham were desperate to stay afloat, and they shared the body design of the now-dead Cord–albeit with different engines for Hup and Graham.

But, adapting the FWD Cord’s body to a RWD design for Hup and Graham resulted in something that was a lot less attractive than the Cord had been. This is a Hupmobile Skylark, but the Graham Hollywood looked almost identical. Between the two companies, just a few more than 2,000 of these cars were produced before both companies went belly-up.

This is the almost-identical Graham Hollywood. The only significant difference between the two cars was that the Graham engine was supercharged.

1 Like

I looked into that, it doesn’t look exactly like a Hupmobile, the radiator surround is wrong. Several sites say it’s just a generic old car, and apparently federal regulations forbid promoting any brands in particular.

Be honest, you’re bored. You’re just dredging up a post from over 5yrs. ago, that you even commented on.

He’s not bored this was in a recent puzzler email.

1 Like

I remember a 5 year ago post? Barely recall what happened yesterday … lol …

The car on the bill does bear a striking resemblance to the top photo VDC posted above, but still looks more like a Ford Model A to me.

Actually you ain’t the only one, I had to search it. It was only a vague remembrance.

President Wilson liked his Pierce Arrow presidential limo so much his friends bought it for him after leaving office.

Well it’s an engraving not a picture so the engraver can make it anything he wants. I remember this coming up somewhere a few years ago and the conclusion was it was just a generic car.