PT Cruiser acceleration problem

My engine light is on and car won’t accelerate over 2200 rpm’s without bucking like a bronko…I have a 5 speed manual trans and as long as I shift quick and keep it under 2200 rpms at least it won’t buck and I can get up to 50 mph cruising speed. Haven’t tried pushing harder or faster since the light came on…Then sometimes it goes out and runs fine for a short period (few miles).

Get the computer scanned for Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Even though the CEL light is not on a previous DTC code will still be in memory if you have not done too many start cycles. You don’t mention the year of this PT Cruiser; the engine size and configuration; and mileage.

The first thing I would have done is a fuel pressure check then have the ignition high voltage components looked at – especially if a P0300 - P0306 DTC code(s)is found.

Hope this helps us helps you.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I took the car to Autozone like you suggested. The following codes came up: PO325
and PO340. What more can you tell me?

Took my car to Autozone and the following codes came up PO325 & PO340.
WHAT MORE CAN YOU TELL ME?

Knock sensor circuit fault and camshaft position sensor circuit fault.

Note those codes are for the circuit, which means it could be wiring rather than the sensors. That two of them apparently went at the same time points, I think, to either wiring or the powertrain control module. It wouldn’t shock me terribly if a rodent chewed through the wires.

Inspect the wiring for signs of damage before replacing anything. The cam sensor is usually right at the top of the timing belt cover I think. It is probably under $40 to replace and is about the easiest thing you can change on many cars. The knock sensor is probably buried deep, may be hard to get to. A peek at a Chilton or Haynes (or factory service) manual will tell you where it is and how hard to change it.