Problem with door locks

I am fixing up a 2009 Cobalt for my daughter to drive she got/we bought from her brother. We are the 3rd owners of the car, but my son and his brother-in-law whom he bought it from were hard on the car. My problem is with the door locks. Using the only remote he had/gave us, when you “unlock” the doors, the locks will generally unlock. Driving they generally lock when putting it in gear and unlock when taking it out of gear. When you manually lock/unlock the doors inside, that’s when problems tend to start, or when making numerous stops in town. The locks “click” like they lock, but they may not move all the way into lock mode. Clicking the remote again sometimes fixes the problem, and sometimes a manual locking of the door works, but not always. Do I have an electrical problem or do I have a door lock(s) going out? When you use the remote the next day, the car works fine as long as the locks aren’t used a lot/numerous times.

Tester

The door lock actuators are weak, replace the door latches.

To confirm, lock and unlock the doors 10 times with the door lock switch on the drivers door panel, I’ll bet they stop functioning after 4 to 5 cycles.

1 Like

Try the simple stuff first. Lubricate the latches so the actuators don’t have to work so hard.

1 Like

I can tell you now you are correct, I have tried that test already, buy I am curious if NYBo is on to something, because I got to thinking the car sat up for 1 1/2 years in the Texas heat and was musty when we took it.

I think you may be right, the car did sit up for 1 1/2 years.