Problem turning over engine in new Versa

I have an '09 Nissan Versa, only 5,000 miles. Usually when I turn the key it starts right up, but every 3rd or 4th time it cranks and cranks for a while before the engine turns over. Once it almost didn’t start. (It’s a brand new car!) I’m worried this happens because of one time when I was idling and forgot the car was on-- so i turned the key and it made an awful squealing noise. Did I do damage? Is that why I have the current problem starting it up sometimes? Thanks!

I doubt that one incident caused your problem. Many people have made that mistake over the years. You are not the first.

Since your car is under warranty, take it in and get this checked out, but don’t tell them what you did.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

The solution to your problem is spelled w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y.

You do not need to know the cause of the problem. Simply take it to the dealer’s service department, describe the symptoms in an understandable manner, and let them solve the problem.

One caution–DO NOT tell them that the engine will not turn over.
If the starter is activated when you turn the key, it IS turning over.
“Not turning over” means that nothing happens and no sound is heard when you turn the key.
In your case, the engine IS turning over, but it cranks for an extended period of time before it actually starts and runs on its own. If you tell them that the engine is not turning over, you will waste your time and theirs, and you will greatly delay a solution to the problem.

Note to Robo:
Now you might understand why I asked for clarification yesterday when someone else stated that her engine “would not turn over”. For some reason that I have never been able to fathom, automotive neophytes will hear their starter turning the engine, but will frequently tell us that “the engine will not turn over”, when they actually should have said that the engine turns over but does not start, or that it takes a lot of cranking before it starts.

Thank you for spelling out the solution and for correcting my vocabulary. I’ve actually wondered about the term “turn over” and I should be using it correctly. However, this neophyte was also just curious as to what may be causing the problem. Call me naive, but I’m surprised that a single thing is going wrong on such a new, highly-regarded car.

It happens; that’s why new car warranties exist. They’re not always 100% perfect.