Prius Water Pump

I’ve just been told that the water pump on my 2004 Prius with 90K miles is “leaking coolant” and that it will cost $500 to replace it. I have never had a water pump replaced on any car that I have owned so I am surprised. I bought a Toyota because I didn’t want to face this kind of a repair bill at what I consider to be low mileage. Has anyone else had this problem with a Prius?

Get a second opinion.

As for buying a Toyota…All cars can have problems. Don’t buy into the Toyota and Honda invincibility myth.

I did get a second opinion, (between the time I submited the question and this reply) and got a recommendation to keep an eye on it and what to look for. I also got a repair price that was half the dealers price. I don’t think Toyota’s are invincible but I feel in general that this car has had more problems that I would have anticipated. I would like to know if there is a general problem with water pumps on the Prius, 2004 or other years.

Don’t buy into the Toyota and Honda invincibility myth.

They’re NOT invincible…but they do have a LOT less problems then many other manufacturers. Last GM product I owned…I had replaced the water-pump, starter, alternator and rear lights by 90k miles.