Prius 07

I bought the 07 Prius new, it now has 92k miles on it. I have had no problems with it so far, oil changes, new tires, I have not have to do any major work on the car. But the 100k mile worrent is almost up. I was thinking of selling it but it would be nice not to have a car payment. Has anyone had problems with the battery or anything major with the prius over a 100k miles?

I Think A Prius Owner’s Site Would Be The Best Place For Information, But You’re Welcome To Ask Here.

CSA

Consumer Reports did a follow up on the older (then yours) Prius. According to them, you should have many more trouble free (relatively) miles left.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/february/cars/toyota-prius/overview/index.htm

The Prius is one of the most trouble-free models Toyota builds. As long as you continue to maintain it properly, it will continue to be reliable. If you encounter problems with the regenerative battery, look into having each cell tested and only replace those that are bad. This has proven to be a cost effective way to deal with the hybrid battery.

Thanks

I have a friend who has a 2005 Prius that now has 120,000 miles on it. He and his wife drive the car from the midwest to the east coast a couple of times a year. He has had no major repairs and the Prius runs as well as the day he purchased it new. I ride in it at least every other week for a 30 mile round trip to a band rehearsal. I think Prius is a great car and would own one if I didn’t need a minivan. Save your money and keep your 2007.

I think a lot of people have that feeling about Priuses and 100k miles. Well, actually, it’s not just a Prius, it’s most vehicles, regardless of make/model.
Someone in the market for a used Prius might be leery about one with nearly 100k miles and pass it up, even if it’s in good working condition. So you might not get as much for it as you’d like if you sold it yourself.

@Triedaq you might look at the new C-Max coming out from Ford. If your music equipment can fit in one, you may have found your next vehicle.

Given that you made a comment about a car payment, then you must not have the money for another car right now. In that case, the most sensible thing to do is to hang on to this car for a while and keep putting money away for your next car. Even if some repairs are needed, you’ll come out ahead in the long run.

@bscar2–thanks for the information. I am hoping to run the Toyota Sienna I have for quite a few more years. I sold my last 2 minivans, a 2000 Ford Windstar and a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander to my son at the typical great family discount. His salary situation has improved, so maybe Mrs. Triedaq won’t sell him the Sienna right away. Also, at 71, I may not be playing too many more years, so I won’t need the minivan. I do have my eyes on a Mazda Miata, but I’m not sure I’ll fit in one. Mrs. Triedaq says I can buy the Miata if I get my weight down under 200 pounds–I have 12 pounds to go.

“I think a lot of people have that feeling about Priuses and 100k miles. Well, actually, it’s not just a Prius, it’s most vehicles, regardless of make/model.”

I agree. When our Silhouette approached 100,000 miles, Mrs JT began worrying about it falling apart. I told her that it should have many good years left, even if we need an occasional repair. We had some suspension work done, and I think it needs bushings now. But that’s small stuff. She wants to keep it at least another 2 years, so I guess she’s on board, too. The Silhouette has 140,000 now.

I also read the article in Consumer Reports. It helped ease my mind over getting my 2011 (now with 45K). The Library Director in town traded her 2004 at 194K and she’s been regretting it ever since. Prii do seem to run forever.

I had a 2004 Prius with about 180,000 miles on it when I sold it. Never had any major repairs,
not even brakes - which I checked every time I changed the oil. I know the new owner, and he has put about 20,000 miles on it in the last 2 years. Still no problems.

I do have my eyes on a Mazda Miata, but I'm not sure I'll fit in one. Mrs. Triedaq says I can buy the Miata if I get my weight down under 200 pounds--I have 12 pounds to go.

One does not get into a Miata, one puts it on.

Know a guy with a Miata…it’s more important you aren’t over 6’2", what appears to be the absolute max when I drove it. Assuming of course you’re of norm dimensions, 212lbs is OK. Eat and enjoy the holidays Triedaq and don’t be intimidated by your wife. I am mine but that dosen’t mean everyone should be.
I can’t even convince my wife " she" needs one.

To the OP, at 100K miles your Prius still has a lot of miles to go. However the next 100K miles are different than the 1st 100K. You must expect some repairs along the way to 200K miles.

Some Prius owner’s have posted about very expensive headlights to replace. If you have the optional HID headlights those are the pricey replacements. Some owners have had the “power inverter” go bad, and this is expensive as in a couple of thousand $$$.

Most owners have motored on with no significant issues. Don’t get lazy with maintenance, in fact figure to spend more on maintenance. Know and follow the Toyota recommendations for maintenance, not the dealer’s schedule. The dealer adds a bunch of extra expensive services that Toyota doesn’t recommend.

Don’t blow the money you save without that monthly payment. Put it in a separate bank savings account and use it to keep this car going, and build a down payment on your next car. If your Prius goes to 200K miles it will also be 10 years old and you won’t get much out of it when you trade it in on a new one. If the Prius holds up well, you might have saved enough to buy the next one with cash and have no monthly payment and you’ll still be driving a new car.

Your chances of driving the '07 for another 100K miles is really quite good. The Prius is earning a good reputation for longevity based on past and current performance.

" Eat and enjoy the holidays Triedaq and don’t be intimidated by your wife".
@dagosa
It is o.k. with me if Triedaq does get the Miata. What I am afraid he will buy is an old beat-up pickup truck instead to use to carry his tools around. He used to do work for an organization called “volunteer home maintenance” and still does a lot of repair work at our church. Unfortunately, he doesn’t pace himself and doesn’t know when to stop and rest. At his age, I would rather have him out buzzing around in a Miata than thinking he has to be working all the time.

Mrs. Triedaq

@Triedaq
You heard that Trie. We now expect to see a new Miata under your tree. The only problem now is the color. That, I leave to my wife; that’s the least you could do.

Re Miata. It;s important to be under 6-2 and somewhat less than 62.
How does one go from a Prius to a Miata?

“How does one go from a Prius to a Miata?” Answer: With great difficutly.
“Re Miata. It;s important to be under 6-2 and somewhat less than 62”.
Well, I have heard that as one grows older, one becomes shorter. I had a relative who was in his late 30s and had attended a lecture where a medical researcher had reported these findings. A couple days later, this relative was driving home from work and began to have trouble seeing over the steering wheel. He decided that the medical researcher was right, but he was becoming shorter at a very young age. It turned out that the floor had rusted through on the old Studebaker he was driving and the seat was about to be on the pavement. I am 71, and 6’ 2", but there is a chance that my height may shrink enough in the next couple of years to allow me to drive the Miata.
As for the age limit of 62, I take my Geritol regularly, and that is helping me turn back the age clock.

Isn’t about time for hip replacements?
Have the docs take off 1-2 inches and you’ll be all set, to crawl out of your Miata. :slight_smile: