Price isn't the only problem at the gas pump

This would not be an unusual condition. People choose safety over liberty all the time. Now if you would ask people who have experienced pumping their own gas, you would get a completely different answer. I guess same reason people released from prison have a hard time on the outside. I could go on but I don’t want my licensed pulled today.

My wife has told me if this passes she won’t pump her own gas.

My wife won’t pump her own gas either so I take the car down and fill it up from time to time. The only full service station available took their pumps out last year. Ya get hungry enough though you eat what is on the plate.

I guess we know who gets the gas in your family from now on!

Or you can say… pump it or push it. kidding
Happy Wife, Happy Life :wink:

Does anyone remember the Forest Gump motto, “Stupid is as stupid does?”

1 Like

This reminds me of my old neighbor who used to smoke while refueling her lawn mower from a gas can, which of course was a bit of a concern for me since our houses were so close together.

Any chance of a Darwinian solution?

1 Like

I hope the New Jersey law does/did change. What training did any of these gas pumpers get??? I’ll bet they even had to figure out on themselves how to use the timeclock to start work…

About 20-years ago, I learned that it is NJ state law that attendants pump your gas… I was helping a friend move some stuff from Virginia to upstate New York. After crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Jersey, I stopped for fuel (diesel…). I opened the filler door (it’s not locked, just spring loaded…) and unlocked the locking fuel cap). An attendant picked up the filler nozzle and asked how much fuel, I told him, “fill 'er up” and I started checking and securing the load. When the attendant was done, he lifted the fuel nozzle out, put the locking cap back on, and then “flipped” the door closed using the tip of the fuel nozzle… I went ballistic and the owner came out and after I threaten to call the cops, he gave me a free fill up. I suppose that if the attendant had scratched the truck with that nozzle, I would probably still be a “guest” of New Jersey…

Just before the New York state border, I stopped for fuel again (AAA posted higher prices in NY due to taxes…) and when I got out to fill up, I was not allowed to do this myself and the owner explained that it was state law. I told him to never mind and I drove onto NY and paid the higher price…

Call the cops for what ? If it was not scratched all you had to do was talk to the owner . Why make a federal case out of everything .

1 Like

In Minnesota, I no longer get gas splashed on the side of my newly waxed car. Yeah I don’t want anyone touching my cars. In Ohio I had a guy offer to wash my car for lunch money. I just gave him the money and told him I’m the only one that touches my car.

Public service announcement now with the impending legislation, it is important for folks to note what side of the car their gas filler is on. There is a little gas pump symbol on the dash with an arrow pointing to the correct side. It might take a magnifying glass to see it but it is there. Also I’m not sure if this is true or not but the gas filler is on the opposite side of the tail pipe. If you have dual exhaust, you are on your own. It’ll be fun to watch.

Even though Costco stations all have hoses long enough to reach the far side of a vehicle, I don’t want that hose dragged across my car, so because my vehicle has the gas filler on the passenger side, I always make sure that I get in one of their lines where the passenger side of my car is facing the pump.

Driver behavior at the pump can be interesting (and confounding) to observe. Last year, I saw an older guy pull up to the pump, and he positioned his car as if its gas filler was somewhere near the windshield. The attendant told him that he needed to pull forward, so he restarted his engine, and pulled forward–about 6 inches :face_with_raised_eyebrow:, and shut off his engine. Three more times, he was told to pull forward, with the same result each time. Finally, he was positioned so that the hose could be dragged over his rear window and trunk.

When the transaction was finished and he got his receipt, he sat there for at least an additional two minutes, probably in order to find the “perfect” place for his receipt.

1 Like

Might have been the same old guy on a bike telling me to pump the gas when my car wouldn’t start due to a fuel pump issue.

Now I’m old too so no offense to old guys.

had a coworker that would pull up to the pump, get out, place 2 x 4’s under his filler tube side of his truck, climb back in, and pull up on top of those 2x4’s and then get out and fill up both fuel tanks is his behemoth of a Ford pickup. Then when done, he’d start 'er up, pull forward, get out and retrieve his lumber.

all so he could get it “extra full”…

Seems most cars have the filler on the drivers side in my area because those pumps at Sams are always backed up. I pull just past the nozzle and hold the hose away from my car and truck both of which are drivers side fill. The wife’s Audi is passenger side.

Most cars fill opposite the tailpipe but not all.

And not all cars have that little arrow showing which side the filler door is on…such an easy thkng to add and so convienient.

I’ll not question your attitude, but I wonder if you left your car door open and it blocked me from pulling out from the pumps and I got out and kicked your door shut, would you be so gracious and forgiving.

Well, I wasn’t feeling very gracious, nor forgiving; especially after driving hard for over 8-hours, through Richmond, DC, Baltimore, and Wilmington. That pumper just flipped the fuel door shut like he did not give a c#@p and he cursed me out for being upset.

That truck (I’ve mentioned it several times in my postings) is a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, diesel, that I spent years saving up for and it was a birthday/retirement gift to myself after serving over 30-years in the Air Force. It was my very first new vehicle and it was (and still is…) my pride and joy.

And another point I should mention, he did not just curse me out, he told me I was lucky that he did not turn the pump back on, douse my load and set my truck on fire…

So, excuse me for making a federal case out of it… but arson on interstate commerce is a federal crime…

flames

Thinning of the herd. Good for your species.

I don’t recall that one. I thought it was “Life is like a box of chocolates”… hmmmm … getting hungry for chocolate … lol …

Forrest Gump says, “Stupid is as stupid does” numerous times during the movie. It’s his go to answer to, “Are you stupid?”

He says it on the school bus to Jenny when they first meet, he says it again to BuBaa’s mother when he tells her about the shrimp boat, and he also say it to the shrimp boat owner when he buys the boat.

There may be more times but now it’s up to you if you are curious…